Chapter 3

The Los Angeles Institute

Ty woke up, desperate for fresh air. He sat up quickly, and made contact with someone's head. "Woah, there." A golden-haired boy said. Ty moved backwards on his bed and hugged his knees to his chest. He looked at his pillow and murmured "You couldn't have stood further away from my bed?"
Jace shook his head and sat on a stool by Ty's nightstand. "Sorry, Ty. I wanted to make sure you were okay. It's not every day that you hear a young shadowhunter screaming a young Herondale's name at the top of his lungs at 9 A.M." Jace said. Ty realized just then that he had been screaming for Kit. A sudden pain shot through his head at that moment, and he put his hand to his head. "It- it was just a- bad dream.." Ty stammered. Jace stood up quickly, scaring Ty enough to make him shrink into himself and bury his injured head into his knees. Jace walked over to Ty's bed and slowly approached him, hoping not to scare him again. "Can I see your hand? The one on your head?" The golden boy asked. Ty moved his head away from his knees and held out his hand for Jace to look at, but not before he noticed the black lines on his index finger. His heart seemed to stop. "Ty." Jace breathed. "What's going on..?" Ty sat up and ripped his hand out of Jace's grip while feeling like something was taking control of him. Ty looked Jace straight in the eyes against his will and said "You can't tell anybody. Please!! Not Julian, not Clary, NO ONE. Please. I'm begging you." Jace nodded and took a few steps back. "Let me know if it gets worse. Just try to cover it up with makeup, something like that. I didn't mean to do that, Ty.." Jace said. Ty sunk back into the wall and looked at his right hand, feeling the most fear he had ever felt. His left hand was fluttering at his side. This is definitely what Livvy meant. I'm turning into a monster, Ty thought. Jace walked out of Ty's room and closed the door. Ty picked up Kit's Sherlock Holmes book and flipped to the page where his bookmark was. It was a picture. Of him and Kit together. But there was another person. A girl the same age as Ty and Kit, with midnight hair and a joyous smile on her face. Livvy. "Remember, Ty-Ty." Livvy's ghost said, appearing by Ty's side. "I'm still here. Always. You just can't see me."

"Livvy.."

"Yes?"

"What am I?"

"You're a shadowhunter. You can make it through this. I know you must be wondering what's happening, if it was what I was talking about. It... it isn't." Livvy said. "Then what is it?!" Ty half-yelled. "I'm sorry, Ty-Ty.... but I'm not sure." With that, she disappeared. Ty got up and out of his bed, ran to Dru's room, and burst open the door. Dru sat straight up in her bed and a look of surprise fell across her face. "What is it, Ty?" She worriedly asked. "Kit." Ty whispered, not too quietly, while staring at himself in Dru's mirror. "Call him. Emma's phone." Dru looked at Ty with a sad and scared expression. "I don't have her phone anymore. You'll have to ask her." She said. Ty nodded and ran all the way down the stone halls, through the arches of the different rooms, and into Emma's room, where Emma and Julian lay asleep, hands intertwined. "Emma," Ty whispered. Emma's eyes fluttered open and her mouthed dropped open in shock. But why? Ty shoved his irregular hand into his pocket and asked Emma if he could borrow her phone. She nodded and handed him her phone, a picture of her and Julian at the beach taped to the back. Emma was polite enough not to ask why, and Ty quickly ran back to his room and searched for Kit's fathers number under the R section, because Ty knew Kit used his father's old phone. Ty pressed the call button hurriedly and waited. Right as he was about to break into a panic attack, Kit picked up. There was a fit of coughing and inhumanly noises, then Kit's voice spoke at the other end of the line. "Is this T-Ty?" Kit asked, panting. "Kit." Ty said, feeling his right hand pulse with pain. "Hey, Ty, I just had this really weird moment where I did some weird magic things with my hands, I'm trying to recover fro-" Kit started, being cut off by Ty. "I saw it, too. You died. Your hand was.. it was turning black, so was mine... so is mine." He said, rushing to finish before Kit could hang up. "So it isn't just me.." Kit whispered, feeling relieved. "You need to come back. Soon." Ty said. "I'll see what I can do." Kit said, and hung up. Dru came running into the room. "Sorry I didn't welcome you back earlier, just had no idea that you would be back!" She said excitedly. "What are you talking about?" Ty asked, confused.
You were at the Bangkok Institute for 6 months, of course. A voice in his head told him. "Oh, y-yes. Bangkok. I-it was lovely." Ty stammered. You were there on the case of witness of murder. "I mean- it l-looked nice. Great to get some fresh air." Ty nervously laughed, trying to pull off a convincing cover. Why didn't he remember any of this? Six months? And he couldn't remember a thing. "So what was the girl's name? I wish I could've been there." Dru asked. O'Livia. O'Livia Farris. "Her name w-was O'L-L.. O'Livia." Ty choked out. "Like Livia." Dru said, a sad smile on her face. "They say she died in a church, her last words were about a corridor. In a dimension no one has ever been to. It gave me the chills. She cut her throat with her own family knife. She also looked a lot like Livvy."
"It was all true." Ty said, against his will. "O'Livia killed herself and spoke of a dimension known to only three shadowhunters, all of which remain unidentified. She cut her own throat with a Farris butterfly knife and her blood ran black and dim gold onto the church ground. The body can no longer be located. The church doesn't exist." Ty gasped. He didn't know any of this. Not until now. "Leave." Ty demanded. Dru nodded slowly and backed out of the room. Ty fell to his knees and whispered Kit's name over and over again.