Chapter 12

Dru was running through the dull corridors of the Los Angeles institute in search for Kit, an eerie feeling lingering in the hall. She turned a corner to where Emma and Kit's rooms should have been. She opened Emma's door to find her texting Julian from across the institute. Emma looked up at Dru. "Have you seen Kit?" Dru breathlessly asked. Emma shook her head, a worried expression on her face. "Check his room." She said. Dru nodded and shut the door. She walked across the hall and knocked on Kit's plain door. No answer. She placed her hand on the shiny handle and turned it, the door creaking as it opened. Nobody was in there. There were two notes. One note right in front of where the door would be when it was closed, and one pinned to the wall right across from the door. Dru picked up the note on the floor and unfolded the piece of white paper. It was written with a neat hand, and she recognized it as Ty's writing. She read the note.

Kit,
     I'm really sorry. After I saw you in the hallway.. it was too much. I'm sorry I yelled at you. I'm sorry I hurt you. I didn't mean to. But you knew that I hated physical contact. I'm sorry, I should just stop trying to make friends. I'm just weird, I'll never fit in anyways. Thank you for the good moments.
-Ty.

Dru noticed that there were dark spots on the paper, as if Ty had been crying while writing the note. Dru dropped the note on the floor and went to the one on the wall. Written in a more rushed hand, this one was noticeably longer than the last one. She took the pin out of the wall and held onto the note before it fell.

To anyone reading this, I have left. I didn't run away, I'm better where I am now then I was.
To Ty, I deserved getting screamed at. It helped me realize what I was doing wrong. I'm surprised nobody heard you. It was loud. My stomach is fine, you didn't hurt me too badly. You hit my chest kind of hard though. Thanks, I deserved it.
To Dru, I don't know if you're reading this, just like I don't know if Ty is reading this. Or his note. I left my phone here. I might not ever see you again, or talk to you again. You're a really good friend.
To Kieran, if you're reading this, it means a lot to me that you are. Thanks for making me feel less like an outsider.
To Julian, thanks for the food. Thanks for treating me like one of your siblings. I owe you.
To Emma, you're really bad at playing the violin, but I suspect you'll get better. Don't stop being sarcastic, the institute needed some sarcasm, and mine only did the job for my room. Stay short.
To the people still reading this note, I'm sorry. I had to go, I couldn't take it anymore. It hurt so much. I'm sorry. I'm too far away to go back. You all mean a lot to me, and I'm sorry I didn't say it more. Goodbye.
-Kit

Dru wiped a tear off of her face. She shakily pinned the note back to the wall. And she heard a loud, destructive noise from the other side of the institute. And she ran.

***

Ty was walking away from the institute, walking towards the seemingly endless desert. He couldn't smell the sage scent of the sandy plains as clear as he could when he first started walking. He was far enough away from the institute that any of the people looking out of a window would think he was just a random boy. Ty clenched the handle of a seraph blade. His throat hurt from crying, and he was progressively getting more congested. Ty looked up at the shining stars, watching them twinkle. He fell to his knees, pressing the sharp edge of the blade to the palm of his hand. He just watched the stars. They seemed tangible. He reached out his bleeding hand as if he could take the stars out of the moonlit sky, and closed his hand on the emptiness of the air. "P-please come back.." Ty whispered. He could feel tears in his eyes, he could feel the self-hatred rising inside of him. Ty stabbed the blade into the dry sand and screamed. "DON'T LEAVE ME..!" He pulled his knees to his chest, holding his hair like his life depended on it. "Don't leave, don't l-leave. S-stay." He whispered, his voice progressively getting quieter. Ty let the tears fall onto the sand. He let his sobs echo through the cold atmosphere. He pleaded countless times. "Ty." Livvy said, approaching behind him, drifting in the air. Ty looked up into his dead sister's eyes. He inhaled deeply, exhaling unsteadily. "He l-l-left. Kit left m-me." He told her. She nodded. "He felt like you didn't want to be your friend anymore. He felt like you hated him." She said. Tears rapidly poured down Ty's face. "I didn't mean to hurt him!" Ty angrily said, making Livvy's ghost flinch. He looked down at the blade dug deep into the sand. Sometimes Ty wondered why it had to be how it was. Life was so stressful. "I'm going to the Scholomance, Livvy." And with that, Ty yanked the blade out of the sand and ran back to the Los Angeles Institute. He ran past Diana's truck, burst open the doors, and ran to Julian's room. Julian's hand shot towards the blade on his nightstand, and he quickly sat up in his bed, before realizing who it was and relaxing. "What is it, Ty?" Julian said, visibly panicking. "I'm going to the Scholomance." Ty said.

***

Ty's tour guide was another student at the Scholomance who had been there long enough to be 'experienced'. He said his name was Vince Whitelaw. Vince told Ty the basics of his life, his family, and why he was at the Scholomance. "Well, I-I'm Tiberius Blackthorn. I've never really had p-parents to guide me through my life. It's always been m-my brother. My twin d-died. Annabel k-killed her.." Ty trailed off, starting to cry. Vince put a hand on Ty's shoulder, and he flinched away. Ty made sure to always cover his damaged hand with something, rather it was makeup, or just an oversized shirt. "Sorry.. you don't have to talk about it if you don't want to, Tiber—" Vince started, but got cut off. "It's Ty. It's f-fine, I can talk about it.. She died. And.. my best friend left me. He was my best friend.. I've lost everything and I've always d-dreamed of going here." Ty said, his hands fluttering at his sides. He took in his surrounding. Shadowhunters walking everywhere, stone floors and smooth white walls. Doors at either side of him. Everything seemed so big to him. Or maybe he was just small.

***

It was past midnight, and Kit was sliding the window in his bedroom open, trying to kick the screen out as quietly as he could. It wasn't too noisy outside. Just the calls of cicadas and a few cars in the distance. Kit slid out of his window, reaching inside to close the window, and then putting the screen back on the window. Jem and Tessa didn't know he was leaving, nor would they let him. It would give Kit some time to think.

( a/n: thank you guys for 1.5k!! I'm currently working on the second chapter for the qna/truth or dare stuff. I'm going to actually draw a group photo for Clary's dare from KyrillionB or at least try.. anyways, I only have 2.5 weeks till school starts again, but the good news is that I made my school's honor choir!!! If you're reading this, please comment suggestions for specials! I want an interactive story kind of? I don't know. have a great day and don't be concerned for Kit. Or Ty. )

Editor- strangerdork