Chapter 3

Location: Jade and Lance's apartment in downtown New York City
With the apartment fully decorated, 3 dishes burnt, and 2 plates broken when Lance's family showed up.

"Jade... Does this look ok?" Jade looks up from the book he had been reading for the past half an hour.

"It looks fine." Lance bites his bottom lip-a habit he had picked up in the hospital, Jade thought was so cute-and goes back into the bathroom.

"I'm changing again."

"Into what your birthday suit? All your clothes are out here in a pile on the floor because you can't just pick a shirt and pants to wear."

"This has to be perfect," Lance says his head peeking out from the bathroom. "This is the first time my parents are meeting you in person and seeing the apartment, everything has to be perfect." He was stressing out, Jade knew that he should be a bit more helpful but honestly, he didn't think it matters what Lance's parents thought about him. He didn't really care but Lance did.

The all too familiar cough echoed from behind the closed door of the master bath. The cough Jade still hadn't gotten used to. Ok, it was time to help.

"Lance?" Jade opens the door not waiting for an answer. What he found on the other side of the door broke his heart. There Lance was, sitting on the floor with his back against the wall, shirt unbuttoned, and head in his hands.

The sound of his name made Lance look up to meet Jade. His eyes had a hint of red from tears. Jade sat down next to Lance not saying anything.

"I'm sorry I'm just really stressed out and scared." Lance's said in barely a whisper.

"Don't be sorry, you have nothing to be sorry for." Lance looked over to him expecting to see Jade looking at him. He wasn't Jade never held eye contact for long. It was never something he was taught growing up. "What are you afraid of?" The pure almost innocent sound to the question shocked Lance. Jade had always been the kind of person to beat himself up for everything but when it came to Lance he would never do anything to hurt him on purpose.

"I'm afraid that something is going to happen, to you. I don't want anything bad to happen to you when they are here. I want them to know that you are a good person and that they can trust you. I know you three haven't officially met but I just want them to like you."

Jade was on his feet as soon as Lance had finished. "They're here." They both looked at each other, "You look amazing come on." Jade pulled Lance to his feet as soon as the doorbell rang.

"Wow, you're getting better at that." Lance pointed out as they both walked down the stairs. "Ok, you ready for this?"

"No."

"Good," Lance opened the front door and let his parents in. Jade stood about two paces behind Lance not wanting to be too close.

A woman in a red dress that went down to her mid shins hugged Lance. Jade had met her over video call with Lance before that was Linda. A tall man with white hair and a square jaw followed her actions. He had on a nice suit with a bright red tie. Fred, Jade assumed having never been squinted with the gentlemen.

Lance turned to attention over to Jade who was still busy analyzing the two. "Mom dad this is Jade." He snapped back into reality catching the eyes of both the man and the woman for a split second.

"Jade it is so nice to finally meet you in person," Linda says shaking Jade's hand.

"It's nice to meet you as well." Jade replies.

"Jade this is my father Fred, dad this is Jade, be nice I like him a lot."

Jade stuck his hand out and Fred shook it. "A nice firm grip their kid I like it."