Prologue

A harsh winter wind whipped through the air, severing the remaining leaves from the almost bare trees, causing them to flutter lightly down towards the snow-covered pathways. The darkness was illuminated by nothing but the pale moon hanging from the pitch dark sky, the stars glimmering in it like sparkles on black paper.

In contrast to the inky sky, there was white everywhere, sheets upon sheets of it covering roof, ground, grass and lake. It piled on top of the looming network of buildings that, strangely, were almost hidden away by the overgrown shrubbery and the dusty town that stretched beyond it.

In the midst of it all stood a single shivering girl, her long, blonde hair flailing in the wind and tumbling down her back, her numb fingers shoved into her jacket pockets as she looked out at the scene in front of her. A strange calm and peace of solitude was instilled within her, though she kept peering back anxiously every now and then, hoping the other would come. Her mind still struggled to grasp everything that was happening, though she was getting closer and closer to understanding, almost close enough to wrap her hand around it and envelope it fully.

After what felt like forever, the wooden door to the terrace swung open, revealing a tall, beautiful boy behind it, his messy hair ruffled even more in the biting gusts of wind, his angelic features serene. He strode towards the girl, confidence evident in his posture. The girl didn't shrink back, but watched warily, filled with anticipation as he approached her, her shoulders tensing ever so slightly as he stood to face her.

"So?" The girl asked, her musical voice successfully masking her slight fear. "Have you decided?" The boy sighed, his eyes glancing up at the sky before turning back to her, looking at her for a long moment.

" We have," he said finally, surprisingly indifferent. "It's approved. I do hope you know what you're agreeing to, though. It's not easy. And it most certainly isn't safe." His eyes seemed to burn into hers, almost daring her to back out.

She wouldn't.

"I'm fully aware of the risks, thank you," she replied, straightening up. "And I am also one hundred percent certain I can handle it."

"I'm sure you're certain, no doubt about that." An edge of amusement had replaced the earlier indifference in his tone, though it was so sudden the girl was almost sure she had imagined it. "Any last concerns?"

"None," she replied quickly, boldly; before she could run through the consequences and chicken out. "Absolutely none. I know I want this. The question is, will you give it to me?"

"I..." He trailed off for a moment, tearing his gaze away from hers. He seemed to have lost his train of thought. Finally, he kicked a pile of snow with his boot, responding slowly. "You must promise one thing though. Promise that you will be careful. Promise that you will listen to me and the others without doubt, at least, most of the times."

"I promise," she said, softly but surely, making her tone gentler, prompting him to look back at her. He did, and when she met his eyes, there was nothing in them but pure certainty and determination. A slow smile crept across his face, brightening his sharp features.

"Let's do it."