CHAPTER ONE: Raiker

6:57. Three minutes till I actually had to wake up. Yet, somebody had decided to turn on the radio, and to top volume, dragging me out of my peaceful dreams.

"Ughhh, Kev, can you stop?" I groaned. "It's freakin' seven in the morning. You can cook later, when I'm NOT THERE!"

"I can't. You know that. It's time for you to wake up anyway," She paused, probably to put the plates down on the table, based on the violent clattering from outside. Haltingly, she added, "By the way... ya got some mail, Rai."

I tensed up immediately. Nobody sent us mail. Not my parents, if I could even call them that. Not my 'friends'; their Superior asses obviously wouldn't risk it. Or even want to at this point. I didn't have any fancy relations either. I only had them. The LibPro. Or, in this case, Juan Alvaro, the co-founder and co-leader of our covert little rebel group. Hurriedly, I kicked off the thick blankets and rushed into the 'living room' of our tiny house. It could hardly be considered one, the only four rooms overcrowded with clutter like torn clothes, polished guns, badly worn down couches and other hand-me-down items of furniture, but it served its purpose. Nearing the 'kitchen,' I caught a glimpse of Keva's rendition of scrambled eggs. Mentally cringing, I went through the doorway to make something remotely edible, but the daggers staring into my head forced me to backtrack. Keva was giving me the death glare. I rolled my eyes and went to the bathroom.

"Hygiene first in front of me. Don't ever forget that."

"Washing up before breakfast and reading a message from the Libra Proelia. You have your priorities straight, friend."

Keva had her job cut out for her. She cared just enough, fared well enough, and glared more than enough. Right now, most of the others were off on missions, leaving me the only person at home. Although she tried to hide it, I could see the worry in her eyes as she bade goodbye to every one of us. School started in a couple of days, and it was obvious she was worrying more than ever.

Keva's nineteen. Hardly three months older to me, but our situation aged her quickly. She acts like she's a forty year old mom, but in reality, she's so young. It angers me to see people forced to grow up so fast, all fighting against the rules that this damn elitist government imposed upon them. I shook my head. 

Now is not the time or place for this. I'm on a toilet seat. Being yelled at.

I sighed, finally ready as I threw on a random shirt and walked out of the bathroom. The envelope was on the couch, clean, white and marked with a seal that disguised it as an official document. Not many Superiors use mail now, but there are still hundreds of Inferiors who can't afford a proper Receiver. Keva picked it up gently, carefully; and handed it over to me, almost cradling it in her hands.

"That letter isn't a child, Keva. It's an object. Treat it like one."

"It's one of your very first missions, Rai! Do not take it lightly."

"Still an object."

Sighing heavily, she handed me the letter and stomped back into the kitchen, trying her best to not flip me off. I allowed myself a small grin before opening the letter up. Scanning over the contents, I squeezed my eyes shut. This is the cost, Raiker. The cost you agreed to pay. You better deal with the consequences now.

Opening them, I took a deep breath and looked over it again. One name, written in bold, black ink, caught my eye. 

Aisa Farrow

The daughter of one of the most Superior families in Eligera. The highest of the high. I skimmed past the many fancy words, signatures and official looking stamps on the letter. Beneath them all, the message was clear. Take her hostage, by book or by crook.

Ha. Being the prick she probably was, a small blow to her reputation would destroy her. What rich fools. Superiors do so much for a mere title. The highest of the high can stoop so low when it comes to matters like their 'image.' They didn't give a damn about who got hurt while they clawed their way to the top. She was just another one of them. Big deal.

I tossed the letter into the burning fireplace before turning on my heel and heading off to eat.

***

One by one my suitcase began filling up with a multitude of random t-shirts. Sadly, I couldn't wear those all the time.

"KEVAA! Where's the formal stuff?!"

"It's in your cupboard! Just how blind can you be?!"

"It's not MY fault you and the others disregard all of the work I put in to keep this house organised!"

I made my way across the room into the cupboards, being careful not to step on any of the trash lying around. I didn't want to evoke the anger of my comrades. I grabbed the neatly folded uniform in the cupboard and added it to my mess of a suitcase. I heard the pounding footsteps echo through the house as a hurricane with brown hair entered the room.

"Did ya find it yet, baby brother?"

"Yes, Mom."

She rolled her eyes and surveyed the room. Her nose crinkled in disgust as she took in the clothes strewn around the room. I hope she realized that it was her fault.

"Relax, I'm going away soon. You wouldn't have to deal with me and my constant complaining then. Just bear with me for now." I tried to sound lighthearted, but that didn't stop her from looking at me anxiously. This was going to be our first year apart from each other since the Demotion.

"Rai..."

"You're going to be just fine, Keva."

"It's not ME I'm worried about, you idiot! I can take care of myself. You, on the other hand, I seriously doubt you can even throw a punch."

I rolled my eyes. "Totally. Do you want me to demonstrate? I bet I can knock you out in a few punches."

I expected Keva to retaliate with a fiery comeback, but instead, her features softened, and she said, "Seriously though. Take care of yourself, okay?"

I simply smiled and hugged her.

"You worry too much. Ya know that?"

"Try having to keep an entire group of angsty teens from wrecking everything," she retorted, pulling away with a soft grin.

"You're an angsty teen who wrecks everything!"

"I'm NINETEEN!"

"So am I. Now shut up and help me pack."

"No way. Do it yourself. I have better things to do."

I rolled my eyes, returning to the task at hand. Why did I think that would work? This was going to take ages.

I picked my way through the trash, with the intention of reaching the items of clothing discarded at the opposite end of the room. I heard a silent sigh from the doorway as my cousin watched me. I flipped her off.

She closed her fingers around the doorknob, about to leave, but turned back around, hesitating. Her jaw was set tight once more.

"You can't mess this up, Raiker. We're in charge of this organization. If we fail, the rest of it does too."

I flashed her a confident grin. "Relax. I can handle it."

"I really hope you're right, Rai." She gave me a rueful smile and clicked the door shut behind her.

I watched her go, staring for a moment before letting out a long sigh.

I hoped I was right, too.