CHAPTER THREE: Aisa

This chapter was also edited due to feedback we received. Hopefully this version is better and clearer! 

"Aisa? Mother says it's important."

The word important was almost like a knife, cutting threw my dreams and forcing me awake. It could only mean one thing. Blurry-eyed, I shoved off the blankets and made out a small, heart-shaped face with golden blonde hair framing it. Amara.

She rolled her eyes, her feet tapping as she waited impatiently at the doorway. "Aisa. How many times do I have to call you? I mean, don't you want those results?"

I rubbed my tired eyes, dragging myself out of bed and throwing open the curtains, a fountain of light spilling through the stainless window panes. "It's already morning."

"Obviously. Which means results."

I sighed, turning around to glare at her. "I'm aware, Amara, thank you." She looked back at me with her big ice-blue eyes, blinking them a few times before responding.

"I'm just letting you know. Mother told me. I mean, you probably passed. Have you heard that even an Inferior got in?"

"I've heard." I began to smooth down my rumpled hair, trying to look as dignified as I could in these early hours.

"I can't wait until my test. Then I could go to a Superiot like you, and start my own beauty business. I reckon Mother would be able to find me a nice husband too." Her face was practically glowing with excitement at the possibility of attending the prestigious college for Superiors, the highest of all the ranks, though she was still nine years old. "Speaking of, what about your love life? Have you been talking to Zander? Or has Mother found you someone better?"

I groaned inwardly. I couldn't deal with her right now. "Amara, your time will come. You're nine. Right now, focus on your classes and staying Superior." I drew the curtains close.

"I'll give you a few minutes to get ready. Hurry up. Everyone's waiting." And with that, she flounced out of the room, her golden locks bouncing as she went.

I stared at my frizzy blonde hair and shadowed eyes one last time before following.

***

By the time I had stepped down the marble, spiraling staircase and crossed the spotless walls adorned with paintings and photographs of our perfect family, but in reality, not quite so perfect; I had reached the living area. My father was seated on the stark white sofa, legs crossed as he took in the recent news. I glanced at the headline at the bottom.:

Mister Lukas Bard, age twenty nine, a Median Enforcer, has suddenly disappeared as of yesterday. The authorities are investigating the case, and all of his close relatives report to have no news about his whereabouts....

Father changed the channel, his bored eyes lighting up with interest as he spotted what he was really looking for: news on his, and by relation, our family's arch nemesis; Jermaine Denlow. The two of them were competing for the title of Governor, and Father refused to go more than an hour before seeing what Jermaine was up to. Their debate was all over the news, and if father wanted to win, he needed to know what Jermaine was up to at all times. Suddenly, he jammed a button on the remote, his face twisting in anger.

"How dare he? What does he know about anything going on in this household? The next time I see him, I will-"

"Eric, we should have expected this," said Mom tiredly. "He never turns down an opportunity to slander our family's name. I hope Aisa can prove them wrong." She sighed.

"Good morning, Father, Mother," I interrupted before this conversation could get any worse, trying not to stare at the apparent news of me 'doing poorly on the examination' printed on the screen.

"Ah, Aisa, good morning," he said quickly, hastily switching off the TV as if I hadn't already seen.

"Did Denlow say I didn't have the capability to pass the test?" I asked, nodding towards the now blank screen of our large television, which sat, fixed on a textured wall in front of an ornate table in the center of the spacious and vast living room. The sofa that faced it was tall, imposing and cream-colored. It was almost royal, to be honest, with the plush cushions that sat propped up against the soft back of the sofa. A huge, fluffy rug with intricate patterns and designs spread out in the center, adding the final touch to the rich room. The luxuries those of lower class could not afford. All the more a reason I needed to pass this test.

Father sighed. "Yes. You better prove them wrong, Aisa. They're saying you have no knowledge about anything whatsoever."

I tried to ignore my pounding heart. "Father, how could that possibly be true? After all you taught me about politics and science, I'm sure I can consider myself 'knowledgeable.'" I had spent more than enough time discussing and debating politics with my father to have passed that portion of the test. It was only beauty and arts that were the most concerning. And the ones people mostly cared about.

"I do hope it's not only Intelligence you gave that much importance to," said Mother disgustedly. "Especially after all those nights you two were up late, discussing whatnot. That time really could have been spent more effectively, couldn't it?"

"I know, Jane. I shouldn't have encouraged her with the Intelligence," Father said, rubbing his eyes. "Speaking of, Jane, have they sent you the results yet? Didn't they say they would by morning today?"

"I am yet to check."

Mother turned to look at me, weariness evident in her features."Follow me, Aisa." She walked into the kitchen, picking up the Receiver, turning the golden, cube-like object over in her hands, expression blank. She pressed a few buttons and the screen lit up, numbers on top of numbers showing my exact scores and rankings. But none of that mattered. Mom glanced at the screen quickly, her features relaxing slightly and her shoulders drooping as she held it out to me, the ghost of a smile playing on her lips. Taking a deep breath, I turned my eyes down towards the Receiver, my fist clenched tightly around it.

One word, centered and bold, caught my eye right away. For a moment, my brain struggled to register the meaning of it. But, when it did, I felt as if the weight of the world had been lifted off of my shoulders. A grin slowly spread across my face as I repeated the word in my head, over and over, almost until it turned into a chant.

Passed.