Chapter 15

Max Dixon's POV

Everyone went to bed after that. Then the next morning Rick, Glenn and Hershal showed up with some guy named Randall. Apparently him and his group attacked them and they brought him back because his people left him behind. He was now locked up in the shed.

Rick was trying to figure out what to do with him. Him and Shane had tried taking him 18 miles out and leave him there, but he knew where the farm was because apparently he went to school with Maggie so they brought him back.

So instead my dad interrogated him and found out that his group had 30 men and they have a heavy artillery. So then Rick was gonna kill him. But Dale was against it. So he went around and tried to get everyone else to agree on not to kill him. And now we were gonna have a vote.

We all gathered in the living room of Hershals house while Carl and Sophia had to stay upstairs. "So how do we do this? Just take a vote?"Glenn asks. "Does it have to be unanimous?" Andrea asks. "How about majority rules?"Lori suggests.
"Well, let's just see where everybody stands then we can talk through the options."Rick decides.

"Well, where I sit, there's only one way to move forward."Shane says. "Killing him, right? I mean why bother to even take a vote? It's clear which way the winds blowing."Dale asks upset. "Well  if people believe we should spare him, I wanna know."Rick explains.

"Well, I can tell you it's a small group, maybe just me and Glenn."Dale states. "Look, I think you're pretty much right about everything, all the rime, but this-"Glenn starts only to be cut off by Dale. "They've got you scared."Dale exclaims. "He s not one of us. And we've lost too many people already."Glenn explains.

"How about you? Do you agree with this?"Dale asks Maggie. "Couldn't we continue keeping him prisoner?" Maggie asks. "Just another mouth to feed."Dad says. "It may be a lean winter."Hershal says. "We could ration better."Lori suggests. "Well, he could be an asset. Give him a chance to prove himself. Put him to work."Dale says.

"We're not letting him walk around."Rick states. "We could put an escort on him."Maggie says. "Who wants to volunteer for that duty?"Shane asks. "I will."Dale says. "I don't think any of us should be walking around with this guy."Rick states.

"He's right. I wouldn't feel safe unless he was locked up."Lori says. "We can't exactly put chains around his ankles, sentence him to hard labor."Andrea says. "Look, say we let him join us, right? Maybe he's helpful, maybe he's nice. We let our guard down and maybe he runs off, brings back his 30 men."Shane explains.

"So the answer is to kill him to prevent a crime that he may never even attempt?"Dale asks upset. "If we do this, we're saying there's no hope. Rule of law is dead. There is no civilization."Dale states.

"What do you expect? It's the end of the world. There is no government, and there ain't no laws. We are on our own. People will kill for the supplies and safety we have. Him and his group almost killed Rick, Glenn and Hershal as it is. It's either we kill him or they kill us. I vote that we kill him."I state as I step forward.

Everyone looks at me shocked by what I said. Especially Dale. "I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Max."Shane says as he to steps forward. Soon everyone but Dale had agreed.

"This is a young man's life! Is this what it's come to? We kill someone because we can't decide what else to do with him? You saved him and now look at us. He's been tortured. He's gonna be executed. How are we any better than those people that we're so afraid of?"Dale asks looking Argus all one by one.

"We all know what needs to be done." Shane says. "No, Dale is right. We can't leave any stone unturned here. We have a responsibility-"I quickly cut Rick off. "So what's the other solution? We haven't come up with a single viable option yet. Are we just gonna let him roam around here and risk him killing one of us or running off?"I ask angrily.

"Stop it! Just stop it! I'm sick of everybody arguing and fighting. I didn't ask for this. You can't ask us to decide something like this. Please decide, either of you, both of you, but leave me out."Carol states shutting us all up.

"Not speaking out or killing him yourself, there's no difference."Dale says. "All righy, that's enough. Anybody that wants the floor before we make a final decision has the chance."Rick says. Maggie and Patricia both quickly sit down as everyones silent.

"You once said we don't kill the living."Dale starts. "That was before the living tried to kill us."Rick says. "But don't you see? If we do this, the people that we were, the world that we knew is dead. And this new world is uglyvand it's harsh. It's survival of the fittest. That's a world I don't want to live in. And I don't believe that any of you do. I can't. Please. Let's just do what's right. Isn't there anybody else who's gonna stand with me?"Dale finishes as we all stay silent.

"He's right. We should try to find another way."Andrea speaks up. "Anybody else?"Nobody else talks. "Are y'all gonna watch too?"Dale asks. "No, you'll go hid your heads in your tents. And try to forget we're slaughtering a human being. Whoa. I won't be a party to it. This group is broken."He says to my dad before walking out.

Dale was still living in the past. He needed to wake up and see that the world he knew is gone. If he doesn't, he will die. That's just how it is now. You kill or be killed.