Chapter 21

Max Dixon's POV

I've been looking for them for over 3 months now. I haven't found them yet. I've followed their trail of notes until it ended. They must have either given up hope or ran out of paper. They have basically been moving in a circle. But I knew I was getting closer.

It was just a matter of time until I found them. I had managed to find a golf cart (pic at top) and enough fuel to last another few days. It may be a golf cart but it is quite fast. It can go over 70mph. And yes, I know that because i drove it that fast once.

Right now I was driving it down the road. I was getting closer. I could feel it. Although I've been alone for over 3 months. I miss people. Always having someone at my side to have my back. But I've become better at fighting off walkers and hunting.

Speaking of hunting, I should probably stop and go for a hunt. I need to eat to keep my energy up. I slow down before carefully driving into the woods in between 2 trees. I stop and park my golf cart before getting out.

I grab my backpack that I had found and sling it over my shoulder. Inside I has 3 bottles of water and some other little snacks. I pocket the keys before grabbing my crossbow and heading out. I quietly walk through the woods as I look for some animals.

After about half an hour of hunting I had already caught 4 squirrels. I decided that was enough for me for today and was about to head back when I noticed tracks on the ground. Human tracks and they were fresh.

I start to follow them going in the complete opposite direction of my golf cart, but I didn't care. There was someone alive out here. Maybe they've seen my group and can help me find them.

I follow the tracks for another 5 minutes before seeing a road up ahead of me. I stealthily get closer to it and hide behind a tree. I peak up at the road and see a group of people. But not just any people. My people. My group. My family.

They were all standing around 3 cars and my dad's motorcycle. Some were keeping watch while the rest were looking at a map on the hood of a car. I could see Rick, T, Glenn, Hershal, Maggie, Beth, Lori, Carol, Dad and Carl. I smile as I watch them.

I knew I'd find them. It was just a matter of time. Now, how was I gonna make my presence known. I could just waltz out there or I could wait asnd see if they come over into the woods. Then a walker stumbles out and heads toward the group. Perfect.

Rick goes to stab it when I take aim and shoot an arrow into the walkers head as it then goes limp. They then all quickly raise their guns as they look around. I walk out of the woods as they all aim there guns at me.

"Wow, good to see you guys too."I say as I raise my arms in fake surrender. They all lower their weapons as they stare at me shocked. Carl was the first one to move. He sprinted towards me before jumping in my arms. I wrap my arms around him and kiss him. He quickly kisses back as everyone else slowly walk forward.

I put Carl down as my Dad then approaches me and hugs me. I hug back smiling. I was so happy to see these people alive and well. After dad pulls away I get hugs from everyone else. Then Rick approaches me. He looked shocked to see me.

"I'm sorry, Max. I shouldn't have left you behind. I wasn't thinking right back then. I'm sorry."Rick says as he looks as me sadly. "It's pkay, but if you leave me behind again, I will hunt you down and make your life a living nightmare."I growl. Rick nods before stepping back.

I look around when I realized Sophia wasn't here. "Where's Sophia?"I ask. Carol looks down sadly. "She didn't make it."Dad says sadly. I look down too. If they hadn't left me behind she would still be alive. "I'm sorry."I say to Carol. She nods at me before I turn to the rest of the group.

"Sooo, do you guys got a camp?"I ask dragging out the o. "No, we've been on the move ever since we left." Maggie says. I nod as I study them. "Well you guys want to know why I didn't come back that night?"I question as I look at them all as they nodded.

"I found a place for us to stay. It's safe and secure. All we have to do is rid it of walkers. There are only 25 or so, but we can take 'em. You guys in?"I ask. They all quickly nod as smiles break across their faces. "Okay, let me go get my ride and we can head off."I say.

"Your ride?"My dad questions. "Yeah, she's a real beauty. I'll be right back." With that said I take off into the woods toward my golf cart. I soon get to it and jump in before starting it up. I drive through the trees soon coming up to the road again. I drive out and watch everyone's amazed faces when they see my cart.

I drive over and park in front of the cars. "Okay, get in your cars and follow me."I call out. They all quickly get in their cars when I call Carl over. "Hop on, cowboy."I say as Carl quickly does so. He buckled up before I start it and we take off with everyone right behind us.

I lead them back over to a road I had found that went up to the prison. I had been stopping there everyday to kill the walkers outside and check on it. After about 20 minutes of driving, we pulled up to the gates. We turn off our vehicles and get out and they all walk up to me.

"This is the prison. I found it 3 months ago. It's safe and secure. All we have to do it clear it of walkers. So, are you in?"I ask."Hell yeah."Dad answers causing me to smirk. Rick looks around before looking at me. "Let's do it."He says. I smile an nod at him.

"Okay, what's the plan Rick?"I ask. "Let's cut the fence open and then we'll go in between the fences. Get to the back gate and shut it to prevent more from getting into the yard. Then we'll take out the rest."Rick explains. We all nod before getting into action.

We go over to the fence and Rick cuts it open with some bolt cutters before be all go in and Glenn closes it with a dog chain. We were now in the walkway between the 2 fences. We run down until we get to the front gate and stop to hear the plan.

"So how do we shut the gate?"Hershal asks. "I'll do it. You guys cover me." Glenn says. "No. It's a suicide run." Maggie states. "I'm the fastest."Glenn argues. "No, you, Maggie and Beth draw as many as you can over there. Pop 'em through the fence. Daryl, and Max, go back to the other tower. Carol, you've become a pretty good shot. Take your time. We don't have a lot of ammo to waste. Hershal, you and Carl take this tower. I'll run for the gate."Rick explains before we go to our places.

Dad, Carol and I get to our tower and wait for the go. When Rick comes out into the field, we start to shoot down the walkers. Dad and I were using our crossbows while Carol uses a rifle. We shoot any walkers that get close to Rick as he goes for the back gate. Soon he gets to it and closes it and locks it before going in the tower over there.

Then we all start to shoot all of the walkers in the field. Soon they were all dead. As soon as there were no more we all headed back down. "Fantastic."Carol says as we get to the front gate. "Nice shooting."Dad compliments her.

"You okay?"Carol asks the now 6 month pregnant Lori. "I haven't felt this good in weeks."She answers. We all then walk into the field and meet up with Rick. "Oh! Oh! We haven't had this much space since the farm."Carol cries out as she spins in the field and laughs.

After that we open the front gate and drive our cars in between the 2 gate too. Then we set up a small fire and cook up the squirrels that I caught and the rabbits and squirrels my dad had caught.

We sat in a circle and ate throwing our bones after we ate all the meat off of them. Carl was sitting in between my legs and was leaning against my back as we ate. Over these past 3 months Carl has grown. He was now 13 and now stood 5'5. His hair was also a bit longer and his voice a little deeper.

This place was gonna be our future. Our home.