Chapter 2: Charlie and Liana

Charlie:

“Ok, what do we need to buy?” Sarah asked, pulling out her phone. She is definitely the planner of the group.

“I don’t know. Maybe just some snacks for the road trip. We can buy everything else when we get there,” Liana suggested.

“Good idea,” Ryan agreed. Could he be more obvious? And could Liana be more oblivious? It drives me crazy!

“What are you guys doing?” Sydney Barnes asked, in her annoying, sarcastic voice, as she walked by our lunch table.

“Like you care,” Sophie muttered.

“Are you planning a party?” Sydney asked.

“Why should we tell you?” Sophie didn’t like her very much. I think they had some sort of argument before I met Sophie.

“Because I’m having one and I don’t want the dates to interfere. I don’t want you to spend tons of money on a party that no one shows up to because of mine.” Maybe I should say something.

“We’re not having a party, Sydney. We’re doing something way more fun,” I said.

“And what, may I ask, is that?” she asked.

“It’s none of your business.”

“Well, I’m glad you won’t be at my party. We don't need your kind of pe-.”

“It’s 2018! Get over yourself!” I interrupted her.

“Hmph!” She walked off. Good riddance! The rest of lunch, we talked about the road trip. You know what. I'm making it my goal to get Ryan and Liana together. Or at least tell Liana that Ryan likes her because it's now just hard to watch.

Liana:

“Hey, sis! We're going to buy snacks. Do you want anything?” I asked.

“No!”

“Are you sure? It's going to be a three hour drive!”

“I’ll just eat whatever you guys are eating.”

“Ok!” I left the house and outside Charlie was there waiting for me.

“I thought we were going to meet at the store,” I said, confused.

“Yeah, but I hate walking alone and you live really close to me.”

“Oh, ok.”

“Oh, you really are so innocent. And clueless.”

“Huh?”

“I need to ask you something.”

“What?”

“Is there anyone who's caught your eye and who you have a little crush on?”

“No, why?”

“Just wondering.” Charlie started grinning in his evil way.

“Um, ok.” I wonder what he's thinking about.

~

“Do we have everything?” Sarah asked.

“I think so.” I opened trunk to make sure. Charlie walked over with a brown box. “What's that?”

“Nothing.”

“It's not anything illegal, right?”

“No, of course not.” We all got in Charlie's car. Ria put on her sunglasses and sat shotgun.

“There better be hot guys there,” she said, buckling up.

“Couldn't agree more.” Charlie laughed and started the car. Ryan and I sat in the back and Sarah and Sophie sat in front of us. The ride was a blur of snacks, traffic, random conversations, and gas stations. We left so early in the morning and I was fighting the urge to fall asleep. Charlie kept looking in the mirror at me and smiling.

“You seem tired, Liana. Why don't you sleep for the ride?” He kept saying that over and over. I had a feeling he was up to something.

“No, it's ok. I'm fine.” Sarah was pretty much the GPS. She would give us a heads up at the hour marks. She's probably the mom of our group. Sophie isn't a very social person. She was just looking out the windows, not really talking to anyone. I swear at one point I saw her tearing up, but I can't be sure. I'll ask her about it later. Ryan’s really nice. Out of everyone, I probably talk to him the most.

“Just so you guys know, I gave up my whole spring break for you dorks,” Ria said.

“Liana, tell me again, how are you two related? You don't even look alike!” Charlie said, laughing. Him and Ria are mostly the ones who are talking. Or arguing. Finally, we could see the beach. The water was a beautiful blue that reflected the sunlight so beautifully. I could already feel the hot sand in my feet. I love the beach and the ocean in general. Sarah directed us to the beach house. We got out of the car and looked at place we were going to live for the next week. It's beautiful. Ryan unlocked the door and we all walked inside.