Chapter 14: Liana

A. N.: This is the last official chapter of this story. Thank you so much for those of you who've made it this far. It means a lot to me that some people actually like this story. I wrote it a really long time ago, which is why I was able to get the chapters out pretty quickly. This kind of started as just a throwaway story just to see how Wattpad works. Now, looking at it, I realized how much I was invested in this story and how hard I worked on it all those years ago. Again, thank you so much. And now, without further a due:

"She's serious, isn't she?" Leo's father raised his eyebrow.

"Y-yes." Leo stuttered a bit. He strapped me down to a chair. He turned his back to his father and put my hands into gloves connected to wires. I could see the fear on his face. He backed away from me and stood behind the throne. His father stood up and walked towards me.

"This is it, little girl. It's too bad you had to choose this path. Luckily, this benefits me, so thank you." He reached over my head and pulled a lever.

"Wait!" I yelled.

"What?"

"Can't I just have a moment?"

"A moment?"

"Please. This is the end, isn't it?"

"Well, yes but-"

"Please." I felt a tear run down my face.

"Ugh, you emotional humans. Fine."

"Thank you." I closed my eyes and imagined all my friends. They were happy, smiling. Walking down to take their diplomas. Graduating, leaving high school behind. Moving on. It was nice to see them happy. I imagined my mom, my dad, my sister. Maybe they aren't my real family, but they are the most important people in my life and they've raised me as their own for as long as I can remember. I'm going to miss them. Can you miss people if you're dead? Maybe they will miss me. Who knows what's going on anymore? I opened my eyes. I felt an electric shock run through my body. I screamed in agony. It was like being stabbed with a thousand needles. The shock died out and I blacked out.

~

I woke up in a dark room. Why does this keep happening? Wait, hold on. Am I awake? I looked around. It was pitch black. I stood up. I barely stood for five seconds before I stumbled over. My head was pounding. Suddenly, the light came on. I was blinded for a few seconds. Renea flew in.

"You're alive!"

"I am?"

"Omg! How are you alive?!"

"I don't know."

"You blew up the whole building!"

"What?" She picked up a tablet and flew over to me.

"Here's the security footage." She pressed play. The video showed a repeat of what happened before I blacked out. I heard myself scream and watched myself pass out. Then, I started to glow. I don't remember this part. I was glowing a bright purple color. Leo and his father started backing away from me. Then a ring of purple light shot away from me like a shock wave. Leo and his father collapsed to the ground. The building started to shake. It collapsed around me. Before the camera cut out, I say the purple light form a bubble around me.

"How did I do that?" Renea put the tablet down and smiled at me.

"I don't think it was exactly you who did it."

"What do you mean?"

"You're power is represented with blue light, not purple. Purple is rare. The only person who it could've been was your mother."

"Like my real mom?"

"Yes, your real mom."

"But, why? She left me in a basket at a random person's house."

"She did that to protect you. You're not safe here. She sacrificed herself to protect you. Her magic will guard you against danger for as long as it can."

"Wait, does that mean she's...dead?" Renea nodded.

"Don't worry about her. She'll always be watching over you. Now, I need to take you home before anything else happens." She held my hand. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. When I opened them, I was at Charlie's house. Sophie, Sarah, and Charlie were sitting on his couch watching TV. Their jaws dropped. They all jumped up and hugged me.

"Don't ever leave us again, Liana," Charlie said.

~a few months later~

"I still can't believe you have magic powers," Ryan said. Ryan and I were sitting on the bleachers of the school gym, watching other prom couples dance. Sophie and Kian were in the corner, talking. Sarah told me about what happened with them and Ryan filled in the rest of the details. It makes me happy to see them working things out.

"Yeah, it's pretty hard to process."

"But I don't get it. Why now? Why didn't you use magical stuff before the road trip?"

"I don't know. I guess I just didn't know about it." We sat in silence for a while. Then, I got an idea. I stood up in front of Ryan and held out my hand.

"What are you doing?"

"Come on, let's go dance." His face lit up and he took my hand. I led him into the dance floor. We blended in with everyone else and danced together. I couldn't help but think this is how it's supposed to be.