I - Millie

Millie lovingly rolled the virgin's skin and tucked it with care into her bag. The skin had cost her dearly but would be the key to her survival in a new land. She gently stroked the soft black fur of the creature beside her, "It will just be you and me, Circe," she whispered desolately into the air. The cat stretched out lazily as it purred in response to her touch.

With a sigh, Millie continued to pack her most precious belongings. Her long, lithe fingers fluttered over every inch of the small room that was her home. She would only take what she could carry, making her choices difficult. What could she not live without? In the end, only the rarest ingredients made it into the bag.

Mutterings of witchcraft always made her departures swift, and Millie was ready to stay somewhere for a longer period of time. The rise of Christianity had not been friendly to her kind. People were always watching for ungodly behaviour, and it never took long for one of her rituals to be interrupted and the rumours would begin to circulate shortly thereafter.

This time, she had been dancing in the moonlight, basking in the light of the stars as it hit her thin, well-muscled body. She had connected to the earthy feel beneath her feet and was about to call upon her inner strength to make a simple love match for her sweet friend. The power had just begun to radiate through every cell of her body, right through to the ends of her long black hair when a sharp intake of breath from the treeline broke her concentration. Millie's green eyes had whipped around to observe the trespasser and she'd raced to gather her clothing. But the gab-about had been gone well before Millie was dressed again.

There wasn't much do after that besides wait and see. The results had not been swift, but the damage was done. Mounting suspicion and vicious lies had forced Millie to prepare for departure. She had saved the skin harvest for last, knowing a disappearance would cause the most trouble for her. That same sweet friend searching for love would make the perfect body later.

If she could but find a way to break the hold of this cursed new religion.

Time. She had lots of time to make things go her way.

A branch snapped outside of her small dwelling and Millie's eyes darted in the direction of the sound. The scuffle of feet made her move from her chair to the window where she could see the parents of the virgin approaching. Millie let out a small huff of irritation as she rolled her eyes. The time had come for her to leave. She was not in the mood to deal with grieving parents.

Without making a sound, Millie lifted the hatch to her escape route. This would be the first and only time she ever used it. Having familiars make the path had proved to be exceedingly good planning. She grinned to herself as she silently disappeared through the entrance with her small bag in hand. Circe quickly jumped through the opening as she closed the latch. They raced through the winding tunnel, which led to a small boat on a river.

She and Circe got into the boat. Not for the first time, Millie cursed the body she presently occupied. It was lithe and beautiful, but not the perfect form to maneuver a boat down a river full of powerful currents. She glanced at her bag, thinking of the much more functional body within. However, she could not risk being seen with that skin yet. Not until she reached her destination.

She took hold of the oar and began to make her way down the river. A small port was at the end with several large vessels leading to many places around the world. She would choose one and disappear without the slightest thought of looking back. Dark plans swirled around in her mind. She craved real power. Safe power. And she would have it.

~~

Millie arrived at a port after weeks at sea. It did not take long to realize that the small town was not somewhere she could stay. The townsfolk had religious symbols everywhere and she knew that she would quickly be discovered. She shuddered as her eyes took in the cages that hung in the sky. Shriveled bodies within were outlined by the dimming evening light. She briefly wondered what crimes had led them to such a terrible fate.

Tearing her eyes away from the harrowing sight, she searched the other ships in the harbour. There were plenty and she had enough money for her next ticket. Gathering her belongings, she quickly made her way to land. She covered her head, making a veil for her face out of her shawl. She was dressed as a common woman, not too poor, certainly not rich. However, her beauty tended to draw the eyes of many and she wanted to avoid the attentions of all.

The woods lay about a kilometer in the distance and once she was sure that no one held an interest in her, she headed towards the trees that always offered her sanctuary. She gently stroked the new skin within her bag and a tingle of excitement ran through her. Looking as she did now certainly had its benefits, but she longed for the freedom of the ordinary body she was about to occupy.

A light rain fell as she made her way through the thick trees, following a narrow pathway made by small animals. The day's light was quickly dwindling and she needed to find a clearing so that she could perform her transfiguring ceremony. It would take some time and a lot of energy. Luckily, the full moon was already showing its face; she would need its essence tonight.

Finally, Millie found a well-lit, grassy area that was surrounded by resplendent trees. As she carefully paced through the grass, it laid down in the direction she walked. The soft outline of a pentagram was formed and she grinned in satisfaction as she glanced up at the all-powerful moon above her. Circe jumped down from her bag and walked silently to the edge of the trees, watching Millie intensely. It is nice to have a look-out, thought Millie.

She carefully laid the virgin's skin on the grass in the middle of the pentagram, taking in the new body's curves with appreciation. Anticipation filled her as she stroked the large breasts and combed the shoulder length brown hair with her fingers. It would be nice to have a strong body. Not that her body now was weak, but this one would certainly have more functionality.

Laying her body softly on the grass beside the empty skin, Millie took the limp hand. As the words of the transfiguration spell fell from her lips, the moon's power tingled through her skin until it filled her, running through her blood. As she continued to utter the words of the spell,  the soul within her lithe body separated from the physical cells that held it captive.

Slowly, she worked to keep her soul intact while it lifted into the air. This was the most dangerous part of the ceremony, but also the most glorious. It would be so easy to embrace the freedom offered by the air molecules. They could carry her soul away with the wind. But then she could never accomplish her goals. No, she would keep her soul together and move it to the virgin's skin. She could feel the presence of the other body as she hovered above them both.

Carefully, and with great concentration, she moved her soul to the plump skin. Down, so slowly, down into the new cells. She could feel her soul fill the space within. It took hours for the transfiguration to happen. The cells slowly attached themselves to her deepest being and she took her first breath, filling the lungs with the clean air from the trees. Her eyes slowly flickered open and she could see the leaves rustling in the wind above her. She smiled. She had completed the ceremony with no difficulty. A gentle nudge let Millie know that her companion still recognized her and she stroked Circe with affection.

After dressing, Millie disposed of the old skin she had worn. It would not do to be caught with a spare skin once she found a place to live. Millie made her way back to town, learning how her new body moved. She took a few moments to enjoy her new strength and the way she could feel certain parts jiggle as she walked. A slight grin tugged at her lips. 

Alas, time was of the essence. Risk always followed moonlit ceremonies and she had best get about her real business. By now the sun was rising once more and after reaching town, she found a ship heading to London. London seemed like a busy place, full of opportunity. Royalty. Many chances to make herself useful to those in a position of power, making her climb that much easier.

In a servant's body, she could whisper and connive, encouraging those who were the face of important decisions. And that was where real power was found. 

To London.