IX - Little Boy Blue

Millie had quickly made her way to her secret room within the bowels of the castle. It had been a number of years since she had seen this room's walls, but everything remained untouched, assuring Millie that her secret pathways had not been breached. She put her bottles on the shelves and unpacked her various books. The room was very like the one in France. Secret, well organized. She had left a few things behind the last time she'd left and they were still in their place. Millie rolled her neck and shoulders as she took the room in, preparing for all the work that would be done here. The Boleyns would be at court for some time, so making herself comfortable was important. Comfort lead to confidence. And confidence lead to great things.

The day had been spent putting her belongings in order. It was close to witching time...when the sun went down and people hid in the dark. Under the cover of shadows, mankind did their more devilish deeds. It was the perfect time to catch just about anyone doing what they knew they should not.

She would leave Circe here for now. The cat had a way of letting her know if anyone came close to the room. She petted the cat's head lovingly. "Circe, my darling," she whispered as the cat leaned into her hand. "You are such a loyal creature." She smiled as the cat looked into her eyes with adoration.

With a sigh, Millie put her cloak on and made her way to find Wolsey. She had a feeling that she needed him in her back pocket. Throwing one end of the cloak over her shoulder, she made her way out of the secret entrance and into the hallway on the other side. Without a second thought, she was off to Wolsey's rooms.

Several servants bustled around Wolsey's living quarters, causing Millie to move past them and into the chapel. If anyone knew that servants talked, it was Millie, and she figured that Wolsey knew this as well. As such, it stood to reason that if he was going to be about some sinful act, it would not be in the presence of servants.

Whispers pulled her attention towards the sanctum of the chapel. Soft whispers made shivers run up her back. Could she be so lucky on her very first try? Millie could barely contain an excited giggle as she made her way closer to the antechamber, following the rustling. Nothing made noise quite like someone trying to be quiet. She stood to the side of the doorway and peered into the room beyond. Her breath caught in her throat; all of her glee disappeared. This was not the sin she was hoping to find him with.

It was disgusting in her eyes, yes, but not the kind of thing that would be his undoing. A conversation that involved treason? Yes. A rendezvous with an unsuspecting choir boy? Not so much. What she really needed was to find papers...something in writing that would cause him to fall from his current glorious place beside the king.

She shuddered as Wolsey climaxed. She could hear it in the way he breathed. The thought of his skinny body writhing in pleasure was enough to make her feel physically ill.

"That will be all, then," came a husky voice dismissively. "Off with you, boy."

Millie watched as the young boy came out of the room, walking stoically down the hallway. She sighed and rolled her eyes as she followed him down the hall back to Wolsey's rooms. Of course, that would be where she would find what she needed. She imagined the Cardinal would be some time in the chapel before coming back to his rooms. There was always important business for him to attend to. He'd just had his pleasure and now he would work.

When the boy carried on straight down the hallway, Millie discreetly entered Wolsey's sitting area and began to search the walls for a secret compartment. Satisfaction filled her when she heard a soft click as she pressed on a brick. It opened to a hidden space just beside the door to his bedchambers. There was nothing of consequence within. A few love letters from some young man, not much more. Again, nothing that would send him to his disgrace. However, it was a wonderful hiding place to know about. Surely in the years to come, frequent checking of this spot would reveal something of interest. On that day, Millie would be ready. She gave a low chuckle as she put the brick back in its place.