XVI - Getting to the King

The cardinal threw a platter of food from the bed in a rare flare of temper. It very nearly hit a black cat sitting contentedly in the corner. He glared at the cat and then turned his temper back to Peter. This was the second time Peter had failed him. He looked at the boy who lay naked on his bed and then down at his own body, helpless rage filling his from...head to toe, as it were.

"Get out," he demanded of the boy.

"Do not worry Cardinal..."

In his frustration, the cardinal raised his hand and struck the boy across the face. Blood spattered from the boy's nose and sprayed across the pillow. "I'm not worried! Get out."

Peter held his nose with a cry. He quickly gathered himself and ran from the room. Despite the blood that poured from his nose, he covered his face mostly to hide the smile threatening to pull across his countenance. The cardinal was not begging for death, but this was quite pleasurable. Peter had watched in some fascination as Wolsey had become more and more limp, despite intense efforts to revive the morning tryst.

Once outside the bedchamber, Peter put on his choir uniform and straightened his clothes to leave the room. On his way out he bumped into the king. Immediately, he fell into a deep bow. "S-s-sorry, my King."

"It seems to be a common occurrence this morning. No fear, boy. Is Wolsey about?"

"He is just waking up, Your Majesty."

"On with you then," the king said with a wave of his hand. As Peter left, King Henry sat by a window. He briefly contemplated the Boleyn girl in the hallway. A challenge of chess was certainly a different approach. Certainly, her mother and sister had used different tactics.

King Henry looked towards the cardinal's bedchamber as a cat came out and mewed. It stretched its legs forward languidly and yawned.

"Here kitty, kitty," the king said quietly as he rubbed his fingers close to the ground. The cat came over and rubbed its face against his hand. Henry smiled as he rubbed the cat's ears and picked her up. With a soft purr and an adoring look, the cat curled up on his lap and settled into contentment. "Wolsey! Are you up?"

"Of course, my king."

Feeling some impatience, Henry continued to speak as Wolsey got dressed. "I've had correspondence from Ormond. He seems to want out of the Boleyn engagement. What do you think?" Henry thought about his meeting with Anne Boleyn just a few minutes prior. "I don't know why he wouldn't want to proceed. She seems like a charming girl."

The cardinal entered the sitting room at that moment, straightening his hat upon his head. "You've met Anne?"

"I just...ran into her this morning."

The cardinal raised his eyebrows with some consternation. Rubbing his hands together he continued with his prepared argument. "I think the nuptials should proceed as planned." He watched as the king stroked the cat sitting on his lap. He scowled slightly. The animal had been a witness to his humiliation with Peter. He could swear it looked at him now with mocking delight.

"But if neither the father nor the son wishes to proceed, perhaps we will cause more harm than good. After meeting this Anne, I think we might find another match for her."

"No other match will resolve the claim dispute within the family. This engagement solves many problems."

"I understand. I will think on it. But prepare to nullify the arrangement."

The cardinal could not hide his surprise. "May I ask why?"

Henry cast a lazy gaze towards his advisor, still stroking the cat. "No." And with this, the king stood up, dropping the cat unceremoniously to the floor. It quickly scampered out the door without so much as a glance backward. "I will contemplate, but prepare a missive to be sent. We have other matters to discuss. Eat and join the council within the hour."