XVII - To Bite the Hand that Feeds You

The sun was shining in the garden as the ladies huddled together under their parasols. Shade seemed hard to come by, even with the nearby trees. To their side, the queen sat close to her king as they watched the dog handler show off the latest star from a batch of puppies who had just finished their training.

The trainer whistled and the young dog at his command raced into the woods, responding each time his handler made a sound. The ladies clapped with pleasure when the dog returned, wiggling with delight at the dead fox in his mouth. With a mouth full of slobbering excitement, he dropped the body at the trainer's feet and sat, waiting patiently for his reward. With a glance in the king's direction, the trainer gave the pup some jerky as payment for the fox. He couldn't hide the look of pride on his face. It had taken months to get the dog to listen so well.

The king clapped with appreciation as he stood to inspect the dog. It was a beautiful greyhound, almost full grown. With a quick lick, the dog sniffed his hand happily, thumping his tail on the ground. King Henry bent to inspect the musculature and stance. He felt the dog's abdomen and looked in his ears. None too gently, he held the dog under the jaw and pried it open to inspect his teeth. "He is a specimen, indeed," the king observed as the dog's mouth closed. "How long have you been training him to hunt like that?" 

"He has six months of training, my king, and he is 11 months old."

"Excellent work, Stan. I would like to try him out next week when we go foxing."

"Of course. I will have him properly attired with a crested collar." With a deep bow, the trainer took the dog and departed.

Henry turned to look at his wife. "What a magnificent animal."

"Beautiful," the queen agreed nodding her head. "Will you not hunt before next week?"

"Probably, but today I want to spend some time with you...and I believe one of your ladies challenged me to a game of chess. Perhaps I could take some time now to accept."

"Is that so? And which lady would be so bold as to challenge her king?" Her eyes flashed as she searched the faces around her. The flare of jealously that touched herexpression could not be missed by anyone.

Henry caught the edge in her voice as he took in her demeanour. His shoulders slumped slightly as he realized he would not be enjoying a game of chess today. At least not with Anne Boleyn. Still, he took the time to search the faces before him. Every set of eyes was downcast; a silent plea to not be singled out.

"I can't seem to recall the name, my love," Henry said as he turned back to his wife. He could only blame himself for her insecurities. "How about you, then? Are you in the mood to be badly beaten by your husband?"

A smile came to Catherine's eyes as she gestured for one of the ladies to prepare the board. "I would enjoy few things more, my love."

Along with the other ladies, Anne joined the circle around the king and queen. She watched as Catherine purposefully lost to the king. Anne happened to know that the queen was quite a good chess player...too good to make the moves she was making, which could only lead to a loss. The king's expression told Anne that he knew it as well. She insults her husband in her effort to be demure, Anne thought. And at that moment, she decided that when she played the king, she would play to win.

After winning his first game against his wife, and a second game against another lady, Henry searched the faces around him. "Who else feels like losing today?" He beamed in his own good-natured way. "You." Here, he pointed at Anne. The one he had wanted to play all day long. "Are you any good?"

Anne blushed as all eyes turned her way. With some effort, she squared her shoulders. "I've won my fair share, my king."

King Henry smiled at her boldness. This was what he remembered from their collision the other day. "Come sit across from me, then. Let's see how good you are."