VI - Favours

"All I know is that we are to head back home," Anne said with a hint of excitement as she browsed through her closet.

Millie nodded as she packed the clothing Anne handed to her. Only the clothing she needed for the next couple of weeks would be brought with them at first. The rest would be sent along by the castle staff.

"Did the Queen tell you if your parents had any plans for your future?" Millie inquired gently.

"No. No mention of that." Anne looked a bit perplexed. "I must admit I wondered. I think that Mary must be betrothed," Anne smiled hesitantly. "It's finally my time to appear at court! I hope that is what's happening."

Millie nodded with the hint of a scowl pulling her lips. She turned her back to her friend to pack a dress. Anne would be disappointed when she heard the news of her own pending nuptials. She enjoyed playing the field far too much to be tied to one man yet. And to James Butler?

Mille glared at the floor. He just would not do. There was no real future for Millie in the household of an Earl. An Earl who lived in Ireland, no less. Millie stifled a groan whilst she pushed the dresses into the trunk with barely contained rage. Her plans could not be fulfilled in Ireland. Her fingers squeezed the jewels of the dress as her arms began to shake. Taking a deep breath, Millie relaxed her shoulders. Her grip loosed on the dress and she forced her face into a pleasant expression, turning to take Anne's next dress.

"Come, Millie, you always know what is afoot! What have you heard?" Anne's eyes turned pleading as she begged for information.

Millie shook her head regretfully. "I am as surprised as you are. I haven't heard a thing. I only learned that you were leaving after I saw the Queen telling you this morning. I guess we will have to face the uncertainty together this time, Anne."

Millie refused to be the bearer of this bad news. And besides, there was a chance that Millie could alter the plans.

Anne shrugged her shoulders, clearly disappointed that Millie had no further details. "I suppose I will just have to enjoy tonight a little bit more than usual," she said with a grin and a twinkle in her eye.

"I suppose it wouldn't hurt to make sure the bridges you've built during your time here remain standing after you've left. Remember, Anne: always leave them wanting more. Especially the Queen, Anne. Make sure you dote on her the most. She is a strong ally, a good friend to you. And one more than worthy of your efforts to maintain."

Anne nodded. "You are right, of course. She has been very kind to me."

"You have been very kind to her," Millie returned with a nod. "Not once have your eye strayed to her husband. The same cannot be said for many of the other maids in the kingdom. Don't think she doesn't know it. A woman knows when another is treading in her garden."

"It's not from lack of desire..."

"But that's just it," Millie whispered. "Desire is controlled. And you controlled yours when others choose not to. That is what makes a good friend." Millie took the final dress and put it in the trunk with the others. She closed the lid and then sat on the bed. She looked at Anne once more. "Francis is not, by nature, a faithful man. It wouldn't even take work to seduce him. But you choose not to. Claude knows that."

"Which means that...?" Anne questioned.

"It means that Claude knows who is grasping for influence in her court and is going out their way to use their body to get it. You have shown her that you are not reaching for control." Even though we are both power-hungry, she thought. "You have built your reputation well. She knows you. Claude will be a good ally in the future."