II - Every Girl Has Her Charms

The 1520s, 25 Years Later...

Millie balanced a tray of sweetmeats and fresh fruit precariously in the air as she pushed the bedroom door open with her pleasantly plump body. She glanced at her lady still in bed, although she was clearly no longer sleeping.

"Good morning, Anne," she said with her usual confidence.

Not many servants would dare to call their ladies by their first name, but Millie had been with the family since before this one was born. Every memory Anne had involved Millie in some way. Anne loved her and valued the advice that fell from her lips like honey. Their eyes met and Anne smiled with some trepidation.

"How did things go with your... friend last night?" Millie queried with pursed lips as she placed the food-laden tray on a table by the window. She smoothed her skirts and her eyes came to rest on the young woman in the bed before her.

Anne moved under the sheets, running her hands over her body, briefly reminiscing. A lazy smile pulled at her lips and she closed her eyes in satisfaction. She ran her fingers through her thick auburn hair and Millie could just imagine the memories fluttering through her young lady's mind.

"Mmmm hmmmm. I see," Millie said with a raised brow.

Anne didn't even bother to blush.

"And how was his night, might I inquire?"

Here Anne went still, her smugness fading ever so slightly.

Millie sighed. "Must I remind you that you are learning how to use the power of your beauty?"

Anne sagged beneath her covers, preparing for Millie's lecture. 

"No. You are a mere woman in the eyes of any man, but you have more power than they realize. You cannot simply simper your way through life if you are to accomplish anything great, Anne. You cannot be the passive one in the room. You have to do more than accept and take. You need to give. Your real power lies in your ability to withhold... which you cannot do unless you first give."

"I know, Millie, I know."

"Do you? Anne, working on these skills is going to be essential for your future."

"Millie, I am a lady. Truly, my future is not really in my own hands at all, is it?"

"Oh, but it is going to be, my lady. You just wait and see. You are going to do more in your life than you know."

Anne let out a disbelieving laugh as she threw her covers off, the blast of cold air turning her smooth pale skin to gooseflesh. "Really, Millie. I'm sure my future husband will be thrilled to death by all that I'm learning, but that is about all."

Millie scowled at Anne as the lady stepped behind her privacy screen to get dressed. The clothing that hung nearby was pulled behind the screen and Millie sat by the window and popped a sweetmeat into her own mouth. The flavours tickled her senses. Sharing food was a good way to solidify the bond she had with her sweet Anne.

After becoming a trusted member of the Boleyn household, it had taken Millie many months to create the right drink to ensure Lady Elizabeth conceived a child. Her first attempt had delivered a child with no signs of promise - Anne's older sister, Mary. After the second conception, she'd had to wait a long nine months to ensure the drink had done its job. Nothing could describe the joy buzzing through her veins when the darling girl was born with an extra finger. The child would have gifts, a predisposition for certain... skills. Her talents were starting to shine now as the girl turned twenty.

"Could you help with the buttons, please?" Anne's firm voice pulled Millie back to the present.

"Of course." Millie quickly got up to help her lady arrange her dress to perfection.