XIII - Lady-In-Waiting

Anne's eyes shifted from the paper in her hand to the beautiful garden around her. The beauty of the roses captivated her as a bee worked busily around the blood-red petals. She watched in fascination as it fluttered about clumsily. There were many such insects working away as she sat and enjoyed the afternoon sun in silent contemplation.

She had found a pamphlet blowing in the wind. Even in her childhood, Anne had heard of the protestant point of view. While the Catholic Church preached good works, the protestant pamphlet spoke of faith and personal relationships with God. She had never been particularly enthralled with the idea of faith, preferring instead to atone for her sins through good deeds and repentance. She thought that most people were firm in their Catholic beliefs.

Yet, here was this pamphlet that she'd found tumbling through the grass. Anne liked to stay in touch with various views and to know what was popular with the common people. It seemed to her that there was a growing sense of dissatisfaction among the poor.

A sudden flash of gold caught her gaze and Anne saw Cardinal Wolsey walking through the garden, trailed by a young boy of about thirteen. The boy looked miserable with his shoulders hunched as he followed the cardinal. He wore his choir uniform but looked a bit disheveled. The cardinal, on the other hand, looked proud as he walked with his head held high. He was dressed in the important looking red robes that identified his station. The red hat he wore made him hard to miss.

Another movement took her attention and she saw James Butler a little ways away with a woman sitting on a bench near one of the many fountains surrounded by low-lying shrubs. He was gesturing in a pleading way with the lady and Anne recognized her as Joan Fitzgerald. Joan looked down her nose haughtily as he spoke. He was clearly in love with her and, Anne thought, she with him. She was making him agonize, but Anne could tell that he would be forgiven. If there was no forgiveness in a woman's heart, she didn't suffer his presence at all. Yet there she was, listening to his lamentations.

Anne felt badly for James, but couldn't help wondering at his predicament. What he had been thinking to agree to their engagement was beyond her. She shook her head as she contemplated his position. It only made sense that they should be able to come to some agreement. He clearly desired this woman above herself.

He must have felt her eyes upon him, for in that moment their eyes met. He scowled at her and even from their distance, Anne could see the hate. I can hardly broach an agreement with him if he can't even look at me civilly, Anne thought with a shrug. Some other way, then.

The sudden sound of footsteps startled her and she noticed her mother approaching from the other direction. Anne smiled since her mother looked happy, a rather unusual thing these days.

"Daughter," she said with a nod ofher head.

"Good afternoon, Mother," Anne replied with a nod of her own.

"I come with good tidings, Anne." Her mother smiled even more as she sat beside her daughter.

Anne was amazed. She waited expectantly for her mother to continue.

"You have been asked to join the household as a lady-in-waiting. You will be one of the queen's ladies. Isn't that wonderful?" In truth, Elizabeth had been sad at first, upon hearing this news. But she knew that Anne wanted excitement and intrigue. She knew that Anne would be happy with this news, and so she tried to be happy as well. After all, many months had passed since they had arrived at court and Anne had not tried once to gain the king's attention. It was as if Anne did not care for the king at all, and this made Elizabeth feel more at ease.

Anne's face brightened. "That is wonderful news, Mother." Anne squeezed her hands together in thought. "I haven't spent much time with the queen...none, actually. I'm surprised she extended the invitation. What is she like?"