Yuxiang & Peking Duck. 📜🐥

"So that history never forgets."

Those haunting words were forever carved into Yuxiang's head. Before, it was only her goal to discover every backstory, every truth behind every wicked smile, façade, and deceiving eye.

But ever since Peking Duck had extended her life without her permission, or so she states-- she's lived long enough to be the one to record that history.

———————

As the world is submerged in flames,

overlooking the inferno with emotionless eyes was a man in a black robe perched on a nearby cliff.

Yuxiang pauses and looked up thoughtfully. As she did, she locks eyes with the robed man, and he flashes her a mischievous smile. The blaze that reflected from the side of his face gave him an eerie aura.

"Enjoying the view?"

Yuxiang takes a drag from her cigarette holder and exhales. "Mmm."

"Something bothering you? What is it, sweetheart?" The Food Soul tilted Yuxiang's chin up towards him and his gleaming eyes bore deep into her. Yuxiang gulped before slapping his hand away.

"Stop it, Peking."

"I only wanted to make a fantastic scene for you to record in your history book. Don't look so glum," Peking Duck smiled.

"Plus, it was a wish of my Attendant. Burn all his burdens into the ground and put his beloved ones out of their misery, then burn the ashes. And you could see with your own eyes, what this world has become."

Yuxiang sighed. "Was it really? Or did you just decided to set the world ablaze on a whim?"

"Just look through the history book, hmhm. You should've recorded it. Or you can ask my ducks," he laughs as he picked up one of the ducklings and placed it in between the pages in which Yuxiang was writing on. It quacked as it tilted its head at the Food Soul, but Yuxiang only returned a bored gaze.

Peking Duck yawns as he settles under a nearby tree. "This deed had severely drained my spiritual power. I must rest. You should, as well."

Yuxiang nodded, turning her attention back to the twisted landscape that was stretched out in front of her. From the day Peking Duck had taken her under his wing to become his own personal historian, she'd been scribbling non-stop about the tragedies that occurred on their journeys. It had become her duty, personally requested by the Food Soul himself.

Hence, she's been following Peking Duck ever since. But was that the only reason?

Her gaze then switched to the now asleep Food Soul, his snores muffled by his long sleeves. The corners of her mouth twitched as she planted a soft kiss on his forehead.

"You are, and have been, a truly strange one that I never understood."