↩ T H R E E ↪

Back home, I would wake up to the sun shining through the windows above my bed. When I woke up this morning, it was to the blaring of my alarm and the clouds masking the sky. Again. I wondered silently if I would get used to the dark skies and chilly wind.

First days sucked, even more so when the school had, at most, 400 students. I had about that many in my junior class back home.

Home.

In my soul, this was home. In my memories, Nevada would always be.

I didn't bother much with my hair; brushing it down as much as I could before tying it up away from my face. I slipped on what I normally wore to school; a t-shirt and a pair of fitted jeans, but as soon as I emtered the kitchen I could see my mothers disapproving eyes.

"Where's your jacket?" She handed me my coffee mug. My dad bought it for me shortly before he died. It's red.

"Jacket?" I asked, confusion in my voice.

"It's raining in Forks. It's always raining in Forks," she spoke softly, amusement in her voice.

I groaned loudly. Stomping past Tala's door earned me a string of curses from his sleep. Sorting through the few rain coats I had, I plucked out a black rain jacket and slipped it on.

"Please be careful on the roads!" My mother called as I shut the door.

One perk of the drive down to Forks was watching the sun rise. Well, sort of. I got to watch the sunshine poke through the clouds and rain. I tapped my fingers on the steering wheel as I navigated through the early morning traffic. My mind was racing with the possibilities of the day, and many of them were nerve-racking.

I clicked my tongue in annoyance as I tried to pull into the tight spot between a rusted truck and a rather large van. As I grabbed my bag from passenger seat I noticed a frail girl seated in the orange truck next to me. Her eyes raked over me slowly and I realized I was doing the same, only I was looking at her truck. I smiled politely at her as I gestured for her to roll her window down.

"That's the Blacks old truck," I called out to her.

"Uh, yeah," she smiled awkwardly, "How'd you know?"

"Family friends. I just moved back to the reservation," I explained as I continued to awkwardly yell through my passenger window. "Can you show me where the receptionists office is?"

She smiled kindly before hopping out of her truck. She slipped a messenger bag over her shoulder as she led me through the rain. I snuck a few glances at her as she tucked her face away from the falling droplets. Long lashes covered her deep brown eyes and she had very straight brown hair. And, unsurprisingly, she was just as pale as everyone else in this town.

"So, you just moved to the reservation right?" She asked as we ducked under an overhang.

"Yeah, from Nevada. But I was born here," I said, before laughing. "I'm sorry. My name's Aiyana Clearwater."

I shook her hand awkwardly.

"Bella. I moved here about a year ago actually. To live with my dad." She waved at a couple girls as she continued, "Charlie Swan. He's, uh, Harry's friend. You're related?"

"My uncle. He is....was...my dad's brother,"  I looked up at the building we stopped in front of. "Thanks for showing me."

"Yeah, no problem," she seemed to hesitate, "Maybe this is forward but.. You should totally sit with my friends and I at lunch. I mean, if you don't already have plans. First days-"

"Suck. I'd love to," I smiled.

With that, she left me to fend for myself the rest of the morning. I knocked on the door frame as I entered the office. A kind woman peered at me over her large glasses. She smiled as she explained to me that I needed to get each teacher to sign a sheet saying I had made it to every class. I thanked her as politely as I could as I ducked back into the rain.

"I'm sorry, is this the right room?" I stuttered as I glanced around the already full class.

"You're late," the woman said flatly. I tried to apologize but a smile fluttered across her face as she realized I was new, "Ms. Clearwater."

The rest of the morning passed nearly identically to first hour. I was late, berated, and then given a soft look and stares from the class. When I got to English, the class period before lunch, I was worrying over finding Bella and almost decided to go sit in my truck instead. Until a girl with bouncing red hair leaned over the seat next to me.

"You're Aiyana. Bella told us about you. Well to be fair everyone already heard about you, but still. I'll walk you to lunch."

Her voice was light.

"I'm sorry. I didn't catch your name?" I tilted my head as I asked, hoping not to offend what could be my second and only friend here.

"Jessica," she extended her hand, "Call me Jess."

She showed me to the small lunchroom and I was surprised to find it full. Back home, we had two separate lunches and we were allowed to leave campus. Here, every one was piled into the same noisy room. I sat next to Jess and Bella and they introduced me one by one to the others. I recognized a few of the others from my classes.

Jess. Bella. Mike. Eric. Angela. Lauren. Tyler. And me. The new kid.

But I wasn't the only new kid, I reminded myself, Bella hadn't always lived here. That made me feel a bit more comfortable. They asked the normal questions; where are you from? Why'd you move here? Oh, sorry, how did he die?

The normal stuff.

I was laughing at a comment Mike had muttered about Lauren's attitude when I saw them.

"Who are they?"