↩ T E N ↪

I'm under the impression that moving to Washington was simultaneously the best and worst decision I had ever made. Not to mention, this city was actually trying to kill me. I adored the snow, absolutely loved the aesthetic of it, however, I despised the consequences that came with it.

Ice, specifically.

Black ice. Something I knew my mother was familiar with, but I couldn't blame her. She had just gotten payments caught up and gotten a new job on the reservation, so tire chains weren't first thing on her mind.

And I guess that went for quite a few parents in Forks today. The bad weather had come early. I was walking out to my truck with Jess and Lauren when it happened.

They were holding each other tightly as they stepped awkwardly over the ice and I rolled my eyes as my boots stomped through the wet road. They stopped for a moment as Angela raced to catch up. My eyes trailed across the parking lot and landed on Edward on the far side opposite of us. I started to wave at Alice, but she seemed to be looking past me.

I threw my backpack in the truck bed when I heard it; The shrill, loud screeching of rubber against the impossible to see ice. I turned around fast enough for my ear buds to fall from my hands to the ground. Everything seemed to happen at once.

When the force hit me I thought it was the van, and I squeezed my eyes shut as tight as I could. But then there was a velvet voice in my ear and my head was hitting the pavement and there were hands holding me roughly.

"Am I dead?" I whispered.

Metal scratched and my body was off the ground and I was being thrown like a rag doll, but those hands never left me.

"Are you okay?" The velvet voice was asking.

Time sped up again and I was hyperaware of everything around me. My friends screaming. People running in all directions towards us. Us? I opened my eyes to find Edward holding me just off the ground. My eyes followed the length of his free arm to find a perfect handprint pressed neatly into the side of Tyler's van.

"How did you do that?" I breathed.

"Do what?" He furrowed his brow. I wasn't buying it.

"You were halfway across the parking lot and...and-"

"Aiya you hit your head," he whispered.

"No. I know what I saw!" I protested.

But he was gone. His hands were off of me and the cold they left on my skin was replaced by the ice on the concrete. I thought I saw Jess hop over the back of my truck but it all went black.
______________________________________

I woke up with an IV in my arm in a hospital bed. Groaning, I tried to sit up but was met with my brother raising his voice from the chair next to me.

"What the hell?" I asked as I rubbed my head.

"You were in an accident baby, lie down," my mothers voice floated in from the door way.

"I'm fine," I argued, "Barely hit my head."

"It was hard enough to pass out young lady."

The voice came from a flawless man with striking eyes. Familiar eyes.

"You're the Cullens dad?" I guessed.

"Dr. Cullen," my mother corrected, although she refused to meet his eyes, "Took very good care of you."

"Only 'cause people were around," Tala muttered.

My mother shot Tala a look before asking him to talk to her out in the hall. I rolled my eyes as they left.

"I'm sorry, Dr. Cullen. My family have very deep-rooted values, or something like that," I stumbled over my words.

He held a hand up to stop me, "I understand. I also understand you did have a pretty bad fall. No concussion but I do advise staying home for a few days."

"Everyone thinks I'm dead," I groaned.

"You're not, and you're very lucky. It's a good thing that Edward was by you." He smiled kindly but something was off.

"Right. Is he around? I'd like to thank him," I narrowed my eyes.

Dr. Cullen seemed to hesitate for only a second before a reassuring smile broke across his face. He instructed me not to move as he went to grab his son. A familiar face entered the room shortly after.

"You asked for me." He took a few steps to the side of my bed.

"You owe me an explanation," I crossed my arms.

"For what?" He asked.

"I'm not stupid. You were halfway across the parking lot and normal people can't dent the side of cars," I hissed quietly.

"You were turned around the your eyes were closed and there was a lot of commotion so it makes sense that you were confused. I was right next to you."

I was already shaking my head before he finished what he was saying.

"I know what I saw Edward." I was trying to sound sure of myself but my voice wavered.

"Aiya, I had an adrenaline ru-"

"Stop it!" I yelled, "I am not crazy. I am not confused. What happened was impossible!"

Tala practically ran into the room as I yelled. He got the look on his face again. The same protective look I had seen at the beach. His eyes were hard and his hands were shaking.

"Get out." He pointed a finger at Edward.

"Tala, its fine," I sighed as I wiped the few tears that had escaped.

He got in Edwards face then and said something much too low for me to hear. Edward muttered something back before shooting one last glance my way.

"I hope you feel better," he murmured quietly as he stormed out of the room.

"What the hell was that?" I snapped at my brother.

"Did he hurt you?" He ignored my question.

"No, of course not. What is your problem? Freaking out at the beach. Freaking out on my friend," I winced in pain.

"Your friend?" He seethed.

I didn't answer right away. Friend. Did I really consider Edward a friend?

"What is going on with you Tala?" I whispered.

"I'm just looking out for you," his voice shook. "I want you to be safe."

"Then let me have a life."

"You almost died trying to have a life!" He shot back.

"But I didn't and it was because of him," I persisted.

"How did he do that, huh? How do you think he stopped the van Aiya?"

I stopped arguing at that. I didn't know. I had absolutely no way of knowing how he did that, but something in the way Tala had asked made me believe he knew something I didn't.

Dr. Cullen walked in then, looking between my brother and I.

"Ms. Clearwater, your mother has signed a release form and you are okay to go home. No driving for a few hours at the least and try to relax."

"Thanks, doc."
______________________________________

Hey cool. Some ~drama~. Let me know if you're enjoying this please!