↩ F I V E ↪

He was gone. I didn't know any other way to put it. The one, and only, day that I met Edward Cullen he had looked at me with such hate that I knew we could never be more than lab partners, if that. But was it enough for him to disappear completely? I had tried to be friendly, hadn't I...

He couldn't have left for good, though, because at his table each day sat one, two, three, four beautiful and perfect faces. All that was missing was the bronze-haired fascinating boy who looked at me with such contempt and rage that I felt physically offended.

When I walked into the lunch room with Jess and Bella, I immediately noticed something slightly off. With such a small school it was easy to notice when something, or someone, was out of place. My eyes subconsciously floated across the room to the Cullens table. Shock fluttered across my features and I quickly cast my eyes back to my new-found group of friends.

"Hey, Aiyana, you live up on the reservation," Erics voice called across the table.

"Mmhm," I murmured as I bit off my celery stick.

"Erics planning a trip up to La Push. Our last one got rained out," Mike sighed, "You should totally come out. This Saturday?"

"Well, I think I'll be in the area," I smiled as the group cheered, successfully earning another member for their beach trip.

I snuck another glance over my shoulder at Edward and was surprised to catch his eyes staring right back at me.

But something was off.

Before I could figure out what it was that was throwing me off, I was being whisked away by Angela and Mike to biology. I was so caught up in Edward that I hadn't even heard the bell.

Something in my chest fluttered as I entered the class to find Edward already seated neatly at his table. Our table. I smiled hesitantly and was left breathless when he returned the gesture. A small, crooked smile lit up his face in the most extravagant way.

No. I was supposed to be mad.

I sat down in my chair as far from him as I could manage. Although I didn't need to move that far; He had scooted his seat to practically the edge of the table. I kept my face forward as I avoided his lingering eyes. Then I remembered something, and realized what it was that struck me as odd.

"Did you get contacts?" I blurted out, immediately apologizing for my sudden outburst.

"No," he said briskly.

I looked carefully at him, ignoring the amused smile as on his face. His eyes were unmistakably black when I saw him, with bruising underneath. Now they were the most brilliant shade of topaz I had ever seen.

"Well either you're a liar or you had a broken nose," I said curtly as I pulled my notebook out.

"Pardon?" He asked quietly. His voice was like a melody.

"Your eyes were practically black and blue. Bruised. Now you look perfectly fine," I explained.

"Perhaps I was sick."

"People who are sick don't say perhaps about it. Now, people who are making excuses say perhaps. So perhaps you should go back to ignoring me," I forced a smile on my face as I listened to the lesson.

I could feel his stare peering down at me. Trying my best to ignore it, I made my way to Angela and Mikes table after Mr. Banter was done talking. We talked about the beach trip and the paper Eric was writing about me for the school newspaper. The entire time I couldn't help but feel his eyes on me.

Two can play the quiet game.