↩F O U R T E E N↪

I was crying. I don't know when I started but I was crying so hard it was getting difficult to see the road ahead of us. Not that I could see it anyways; After Edward had gotten back in the car he had driven off much too fast and everything around us seemed blurred. I hadn't looked at him yet, but really I couldn't even if I wanted to because of the tears.

But as the car lurched faster through the night I noticed just how fast we were going.

I had only had a couple panic attacks in my life.

The first, I remember, being when I was riding on my brothers handle bars and he had nearly collided with our neighbirs pick-up truck. He stopped inches from the passenger door of the red vehicle, but it was close enough for my breath to race. I was very young, and to my young brain I thought we had almost died.

The second was when the doctor came out and just slightly shook his head. It felt as if my whole world ended. I think I screamed before my chest grew so tight I thought I was having a heart attack. Tears fell and I struggled to catch my breath but it only made it worse. My dad had died and I wasn't comforting my family I was breaking down in the hospital hallway in front of everyone.

So, I had only had a couple. But I knew what they were and how they felt. Which is why, sitting there in Edward Cullens passenger seat clutching my chest and gasping for air, I cried out for him to stop the car.

"Did they hurt you? Do you need a hospital?" He was talking so fast.

"Please," I gasped out. "Stop."

He pulled off the the road and I tucked my head between my knees.

"I should go back there and rip them apart," he muttered.

I could only shake my head in protest.

"Aiya, what's happening?" His voice was full of concern. "What do you need?"

"My dad," my voice broke.

Then the tears came harder. I was able to catch my breath and I took a long, shakey one in before letting it out in a dry, broken sob.
______________________________________

Ten minutes passed before I was able to breathe normally. Edward hadn't spoken a single word and I had yet to look up at him. I pulled my hair up, away from my face and took the chance to look around. We were pulled off on a gravel road, no cars around us. I should have been concerned. Wasn't this the same situation? First the alley with those men and now a secluded road with a guy I hardly knew.

"Did they hurt you?" He asked again, softer this time.

"No, I mean, not really," I spoke quietly.

"Why were you crying?" He asked sincerely.

"I....thought of my dad. He, he always told me I needed to learn to defend myself. Bite, go for the eyes," I laughed, despite myself, "I always argued with him. I guess he knew what he was doing."

I paused as I composed myself, trying not to let old memories take over again. I took a deep breath.

"I need to head back to my friends," I said finally.

"Yes, of course," he turned the car around, this time going at a much more acceptable speed.

I reached for the heat as a chill shook my body, but Edward had caught the movement and reached for it first.

"God, you're freezing!" I whispered.

He didn't say anything but his hands tightened around the steering wheel.

"I want to hunt them down and make them pay," he muttered.

"Not a good idea," I insisted.

"You didn't hear the vile and repulsive thing they were thinking," he replied.

"Oh, and you did?" I laughed, but it wasn't full of joy.

He paused, "It isn't hard to guess "

"How did you find me?" I asked.

"Enough with the questions for now."

I rolled my eyes, but obliged.

We pulled in front of the restaurant to find my friends already leaving. I hopped out quickly.

"Oh, god, Aiyana we were worried," Angela cried as she hugged me.

Their eyes trailed behind me to Edward. Jessica's eyes widened and she shot me a look that I knew I would have to answer to later.

"Why don't you guys go ahead? Edward will drop me off. You can stop by my house and get your things and Bellas truck, okay?" I hoped they would take the hint.

"Yeah, yeah. Catch you later," Bella waved as they piled into Jess's van.

"I'll call my brother," I said after they left.

"Aiya.." He started but I stopped him.

"I'll wait inside. Don't worry about it."

"Let me take you to dinner." He said suddenly, not quite sure of his words.

"Really. You've done enough," I said, "You don't need to feel bad for me."

"I don't. I want to take you to dinner, please."

"You can't bring me home," I said. I wasn't asking. I knew the answer.

"Take my car home," he offered.

"You're kidding," I laughed.

"I'll....find a way home. I'll call a taxi perhaps," he smiled warmly. "Now, shall we?"

I couldn't argue with that.
______________________________________

Let me know if you're enjoying this story please!
Xo