↩F I F T E E N↪

He held the door open for me as we entered the restaurant. The hostess up front was gorgeous, but it seemed I was the only one who noticed. Edward meerly glanced her way as she led us to a table out front.

"Something more private?" Edward's voice asked gently.

If his smile wasn't enough then the bill he slipped her was. She led us to a more empty part of the restaurant.

"What can I get you two to drink?"

She had said 'you two' but she was only speaking to Edward. When he gestured to me she reluctantly turned around. She scrawled down my drink quickly before asking him which he, again, declined politely. The lady bounded off for the kitchen and we sat in an uncomfortable silence.

"I hope you're not planning on sharing a drink because I need all the caffeine I can get," I initiated the conversation.

"No, I'm alright," he murmured before the waitress joined us again.

She set my drink down harshly before asking if we were ready to order. Edward shook his head and I nearly did the same before he gave me a stern look. Italian food. I glanced at the menu only briefly before plucking out the first thing I saw. She threw one last flirty glance his way before leaving us alone yet again.

"The least you could do is give her your number," I commented as I drank from my straw.

"Why would I do that?"

I had to look up at his face to make sure he wasn't joking, "She's into you."

"I hadn't noticed," he replied.

"Everyone is," I shrugged.

"Everyone?" He questioned.

His smile made my breath catch and luckily I was saved by a plate being set in front of me.

"Can I have some answers now?" I asked.

"Yes....no....to get to the other side. 1.77245-"

"I don't want to know the square root of pi," I interrupted.

"You knew that?" He asked, the faintest trace of a smile on his face.

"This was a mistake," I sighed as I stood.

"Please, don't go," he said.

I took my seat reluctantly.

"How did you find me?" I started. "Were you following me, or?"

"I was following your friends thoughts," he studied my response, "I had to stay closer to them to better hear them. So when you left it was difficult to find you."

"Read.. Their thoughts? Like, mind-reading?" I asked.

"I can read the mind of every single person in this room," he pointed discretely at a few diners, "Sex. Money. Sex. Sex. Cat?"

I giggled and he turned his attention to me.

"But then, I come to you and everything's blank," he whispered quietly.

"Is there something wrong with me?" I couldn't help but ask.

"I tell you I can read minds and you think there's something wrong with you?" He laughed.

I loved the sound of his laugh.

"Why is it blank?"

"I'm not sure. It's very frustrating," he sighed.

"Is that why you were rude?" I asked.

"In part."

I didn't know what else to ask, so I ate.