"Burn." ~ Tommy Shelby

"Don't try and shut me out of this. I've been here since day one. I'm more a part of this then you are!" I stuck a finger in his face, meeting his murderous glare with my own.

"You better get back in your place Williams. Or else you know who's gonna get angry." Arthur pushed my finger away from his face but continued to stare me down.

"Oh yeah?" I scoffed, rolling my eyes, "and what's Thomas fucking Shelby 'gonna' do to me?" To this Arthur suddenly deflated and shook his head mildly.

I feel my own angry slowly start to ebb away as I realised what I just said. Casting my eyes across the meeting room, none of the men would meet my eye. But all of them were staring. Some smiling wickedly to themselves, others muttered to each other glancing at me out the corner of their eyes. Only Polly held her head up and caught my gaze. Her expression was unreadable, but her eyes said

This ends now.

"Alright, listen. All of you." Turning I lifted my skirts to climb onto one of the tables. Taking a deep breath, I quickly closed my eyes and remembered what Tommy told me, what feels like decades ago.

You're strong. You're smart. And one day, you'll be a Shelby.

"I know the only thing you men deem to respect is your money and your dicks." I began with much more confidence than I felt. "But I was the person who kept this place running, me and Polly here. Without us, you'd all be back in Birmingham with no jobs and your head in a fucking gutter. So although me and Tommy ain't husband and wife like you were all expecting. I still deserve the fucking respect of a Shelby. So stop staring at me like I'm one of your gutter whores and give me some fucking respect."

At this point, I knew my face was flushed and red but at least some of the men seemed to look a bit more respectful, even scared. Although seconds later I  realised what exactly they were afraid of.

"Anyone got something they'd like to say to Ms. Williams here?" A familiar voice echoed behind me, the dangerous tone underlining his every word.

I watched as the men blushed and shook their heads, once again avoiding my stare.

"That's what I thought." He muttered. Biting my lip, I braced myself before turning around, and was immediately breathless. His eyes seemed to surround me, the colour of a frozen sky reaching as far as my heart ever desired. A burning fire hidden behind barricades soaked in blood. Ice and infernos dancing together, a power that no woman could ever melt or calm. I felt a surge of pity for believing that I could even try.

Reaching down I took his outstretched hand and grabbed the bottom of my dress with the other. Nimbly I jumped off the table, making sure I  didn't tumble into him on the way down.

But his hand had slid around the back of my waist to support my balance. Then almost automatically my hand reached up to rest on his shoulder. And in that second, I was home.

Being this close to him brought back those beautiful memories. Warm summer days by the river. His smile in the light of the morning sun. The sound of his laughter echoing across green fields. Feeling softness of his lips against my own. The cold presence of a gun pressed against the side of my head...

Pushing away I turned and quietly attempted to catch my breath. By the time I looked up again, the feeling was gone. He was just Mr. Shelby. The man whose business I help run.

"If you'd like to follow me." Before I had the chance to reply, he'd already begun walking away. Sighing, I brushed my hand down my skirt and walked after him, making sure to glare at the workers as I strode past them.

A breath of relief passed through my lips the moment the door to Tommy's office closed. The feeling of being judged and gossiped about raised off me. Dropping into one of his chairs I prepped myself for whatever plans he had for me today.

"If you're about to tell me off about Arthur then I won't say I'm sorry. I deserve the same respect that they give Polly. Plus Arthur's ego covers half of England, and your men really need a lesson in how not to stare." I crossed arms and absently  tapped the back of Tommy's desk with my foot.

"Iris. I want you to leave." He replied quietly.

What?

"I'm sorry, I don't understand." I shook my head and frowned up at him. Surely he doesn't mean it.

"I want you to leave." He repeated, he had his back facing me as he stared out the window. Even with the distance between us, I could still see the tension in the set of his shoulders. 

"You mean leave the Garrison? For how long? Where am I going? Who will run the books?" I demand quickly, feeling myself getting more and more worked up. How can he send me away like this? "I belong here."

"You belong in Camden." I gasped quietly, but Tommy either didn't hear or decided to ignore me. "You have to-"

"I don't have to do anything." I replied indignantly. Glaring at his back, sinking lower into the chair. He only shook his head and pushed a hand though his hair.

"I've already arranged everything with Alfie. Gracie Solomons will meet you at the docks tomorrow afternoon. So if you pack this evening you should be ready to leave by-"

"Tommy. Tommy just stop." I rise up, my chair scraping behind me and place a hand on his shoulder. "Just tell me why you're doing this."

My hand was roughly push away as he suddenly spun round and met me with a fixed stare. His eyes were red rimmed and glistened in the pale lamplight.

"Because I can't take it Iris. I can't take it anymore." He yelled, his fists clenched at his sides. "Because every time I close my eyes, I see that gun against your head knowing I was the one who put it there." He shook his head, causing the tears to drop down onto his cheeks.

"Because I don't think my heart can take this damage." He whispered, looking down as his voice broke. "Because if something were to happen to you, I think that it would take the last of my humanity with you."

I could feel my heat breaking as I tried to reach him one last time. I tentatively place my hand against his cheek.

"Please Tommy. Please, don't do this. None of this is your fault." I beg, letting the desperation seep through my voice. Not caring that my tears had begun dripping down my face.

"This is all my fault." He sniffed and looked up, smiling ruefully. Placing his hand against my own he leaned his face into my palm. "Solomons better take good fuckin' care of you. Otherwise I'm coming down and killing him myself."

A laugh forced its way out my mouth as I glanced up and smiled at him. Biting my lip I slowly wrapped my hand around the back of his neck and gently pulled his head forward, allowing me to press my lips against his. Once last time.

I feel his heartbeat hammering against my own as he weaves his arms around my waist. After a second I slowly pull away, I can taste the salt of his tears against my lips.

"I love you, Tommy. I always will." I admit quietly, pulling away I wipe a hand across my cheeks and move towards the door.

"Iris?" I don't know if it was the way he said it, or the hope he would change his mind that made me stop. But I still paused, my hand hovering over the doorknob.

"You have Thomas Shelby's heart. No one can ever take that away from you." His voice seemed broken and distant. As I lifted my head and opened the door, I could feel the weight of his words holding me to the floor.

Then I walked away.

Away from the Shelby family.

Away from Birmingham.

But always haunted with the image of his eyes. The eyes which could've set the world on fire, but chose to burn me instead.