"Empty pt. two" ~ Tommy Shelby

The next morning bought nothing but cold and apprehension. Last night Iris had turned up on Ada's doorstep looking like a wreak, although she hadn't realised until she'd walked past the mirror in the hallway.

Her blouse had almost been completely undone, her hair was all over the place from Johns hands, her lipstick had smeared halfway across her face and she was still wearing Johns coat and gloves.

Ada had said nothing, but Iris noticed her and Arthur share a look over her shoulder. Her eyes had narrowed as she gripped onto Iris's arm. But before Iris could turn around Arthur was already storming away, his hands in his pockets and his head tipped against the cold.

Ada was still glaring after him when Iris placed her hand over Ada's and patted it soothingly. Causing Ada to turn and narrow her eyes at Iris.

"If it was him, then you are not stepping into my house until you tell Gracie and Tommy." She said. Iris only shook her head and sighed.

"It wasn't Arthur." She replied, "I swear." She added when her expression didn't change. Ada held firm for a few seconds before giving up and offering her some clothes to sleep in.

The next morning she was shooed our the house the second she was decent. Iris had tried to explain but Ada wouldn't hear any of it.

"If it wasn't Tommy you were kissing I don't want to know. But I swear to god if you don't go to him now and explain I'm never helping you with rallies again." With that she shut the door in Iris' face.

Cold and a bit hungry Iris had wandered to the bet shop and stood nervously outside Tommy's office. Smoothing down her hair she glanced around the shop, wondering if she could escape and put this off till tomorrow.

Unfortunately, Arthur was sat at the other end of the shop. Leaning against a desk with his arms crossed and a frown. Raising his eyebrows, he gestured towards the door mockingly. Iris gave him the finger before turning back to the door and sighed.

Tentatively she knocked on the door once then walked in, not bothering for an invitation.

Tommy sat at his desk, one hand braced in his hair while the other one tapped a pen unconsciously. Gracie had folded herself into one of the plush armchairs pushed against the office wall, with her legs crossed beneath. She peered over she newspaper she was reading as Iris stepped in.

"Finally, they've been waiting an hour for you." She said before going back to her paper.

They?

Iris looked over and winced. John was already sat in front of Tommy's desk, twiddling with his toothpick out of boredom.

Slowly, Iris lowered herself into the chair besides John and waited for Tommy to begin.

'I've done nothing wrong, I've done nothing wrong.' She repeated to herself as Tommy put down his pen, grasped his hands together and stared at them.

"So, which one of you is going to explain what happened yesterday." He sighed, glancing between the both of them.

"Arthur hasn't already told you?" Iris hazarded a guess. Tommy shook his head at her.

"Arthur was with me the whole night until he went to find you two. So I'm going to ask again. What happened?" John and Iris were silent as they turned to share a look.

"Well. You see. The thing is Tom," John began, unable to get a proper sentence out as he shuffled in his chair uncomfortably.

There was a rustle as Gracie dropped her paper across her lap. "Jesus Tom, give them a break." She said in exasperation. "It was seven vs two, they had to blend in. So what?"