"Worry." ~ Arthur Shelby

It was a tiring Monday morning. Only the Shelby family were in the office. Polly was in the vault double counting. Iris was touching up her makeup in one of the windows and Gracie was slumped at one of the tables, toast in one hand and a book in the other. Only peace and silence.

"AUNT POL! AUNT POLLY! LOOK, LOOK! IRIS! GRACIE! COME LOOK!"

A sudden terror from the east comes screaming through the front door of the office, colliding into Gracie's chair. Dropping her toast in surprise Gracie reaches down and stares at the small beast grinning up at her.

"Finn, what are you doing? Screeching around the streets like that?" Aunt Pol emerges from the vault with a hand placed over her heart, a frown plastered across her face.

"Best be careful," Iris warns, snapping her lipstick closed, "otherwise you'll get your lips sewn together."

To this Finn sticks his tongue out and wiggles it at her. Iris quickly returns the action causing the ten year old to laugh and Iris to be smacked lightly on the back of the head by Polly.

Shaking her head, Gracie reaches down and pulls Finn onto her lap.

"Enough of that, the boys won't be happy if they come home and their little brother don't have a tongue anymore." To this Finn only grins more and shoves his hand forward.

"That's what I've been trying to tell you!" He cries exasperatedly. Gracie frowns and plucks the newspaper from Finns hands.

11th November, 1918

WORLD WAR FINALLY OVER !

"Oh my god." Gracie murmurs quietly, glancing over her shoulder with wide eyes. "Oh my god." She repeats to herself, letting the newspaper be snatched out of her hands by a concerned Iris.

"Finn," she says, turning to the small boy perched on her lap, "do you know what this means?"

Finn nods his head solemnly.

"It means I have to give up my room again." He says sadly, looking up at her with those trademark blue Shelby eyes. Gracie chokes out a laugh.

"No sweetheart, it means they're coming home." Wrapping her arms around him she lifts Finn off her lap as he skittles towards his aunties arms. Tears well in Aunt Pol's eyes but she quickly hides them as she picks her youngest nephew up and swings him around.

Gracie turns towards Iris and rushes to hug her tightly, letting happy tears seep into her sisters hair.

"Our boys are coming home, Iris." She whispers softly, stroking her hair. Iris' laugh quickly turns into a choked cry as they stand there, clinging onto each other as if the war was still raging on besides them.

~~~

The next few days consisted of everyone being on edge. Every time there was a sound of knocking or a remotely familiar voice. Everyone would be darting towards the door, followed by a chorus of disappointed sighs.

It was Friday night when Polly, Gracie and Iris all decided to go to the garrison to take away the ache of waiting. Ada was told to stay at home and look after Finn, after many promises of being able to come next time.

The three women huddled together in a snug corner table, drinking and frowning at the happy families and couples who had been reunited.

"Why do they have to show off their happiness in front of everyone?" Iris muttered into her drink, glaring at a particular solider who's hair was as dark as the stained table they sat at.