"Remember." ~ Arthur Shelby

It was an unusually cold August evening, but for Birmingham that's normal. Everyone had gathered around in the main room of the house where the only two working windows had been shut while the rest of them were stuck open.

Finn was sat by the fireplace with one of Johns old hats on his head begging Aunt Pol to go back outside and play with the other kids. John was sat with his back against the window cleaning one of his pistols. Gracie had shotgunned her favourite armchair. Her feet curled up underneath her as she reread one of the same books she had a thousand times.

Arthur couldn't help but glance at her every so often. He tells himself it's because he wants to make sure she's not getting too cold. But deep down it's because he knows he might not see her again, and it's best to make the most of these moments. The war was creeping up on all of them now. It was only a week or so until they were getting shipped out to the war zone. And Arthur was secretly dreading every second of it.

While he was thinking how her nose looked slightly red, her eyes flicked up and caught him. His eyes immediately darted away towards the other end of the room where Tommy and Iris were sat around the small dining table. After a convenient amount of time had past he let his eyes flicker back again. Gracie had returned to her book but she was smiling as she was reading, her cheeks had gone faintly pink as well. Arthur smiled as he looked back to his brother.

Tommy was shuffling restlessly as he ran his hand through his hair. Iris was looking bemused as she watched him squirm. Arthur heard a book close as Gracie began watching them as well. Raising her eyebrows she looked at Arthur, to which he widened his eyes and shrugged. Gracie shook her head before they both turned back to watch.

Suddenly Tommy cleared his throat and reached over to grab Iris's hands. She quickly held back but you could tell she was still in complete confusion. Reaching into his pocket Tommy pulled out a pristine envelop and placed in on the table with his free hand.

Iris looked at it briefly before looking back at him, her brows knitted together. Tommy only looked down at their conjoined hands and exhaled heavily.

"I thought that, as it's the war, and death will always be around the corner. I'd give you something to remember. Something that's always yours." Iris blanched as she tightened her grip on his hand. "Just read it when you miss me, eh?" Reaching up he touches his fingers lightly to her cheek. Iris smiles wearily and leans into his touch.

Arthur feels happy for them, the look on Tommy's face isn't one he sees a lot. Swallowing he turns back to Gracie, only to find her still looking at her sister. Her eyes looked distant, and tired. Shadows played across her face making it look like she hadn't slept in weeks. She placed one hand across her book self consciously before looked down and running a finger across the pages slowly.

When her eyes finally flicked up to meet his gaze, he didn't turn away. Instead he watched as she forced herself to smile cheerfully before putting her book to the side and standing up.

"Well I don't know about anyone else, but I am exhausted" She walks up and presses a light kiss to Arthur's cheek and excuses herself from the room. He wanted to grab her hand and hold her. To cling to her and bury his face in her neck and never look at the world again. Just as she opened the door, Arthur couldn't help himself.

"Gracie!" He called out, his voice strangely horse. She paused and looked over her shoulder, smiling softly. But that was it. He couldn't say anything. He couldn't say anything at all.

Instead he opened and closed his mouth, begging for the right words to come out. To say something funny like John would. To say something smart like Tommy would. Something cutting like Iris would. Something witty like Aunt Pol could.