chapter six

' sacrifices are the most beautiful deaths you ever can imagine

' sacrifices are the most beautiful deaths you ever can imagine. you die a warriors death '

THE ROOM SMELLED LIKE WOOD that slowly burned down, crumbling to ashes. Bright yellow and red flames were flickering out of the basket she dumped all her written papers in. That were exactly the instructions Steve gave her. Write down, and destroy it when you are ready. And Natasha was ready. She was ready to avenge her lovers death. The blonde woman took a deep breath and wiped some sweat off her forehead with her gloved hands. Still, she was following the fire with her eyes, hoping that this message might reach Lauren in whatever world or realm she was in now. Natasha wasn't a firm believer in Heaven or Hell ( or even God in general) but for her, she would do whatever it takes. She was so concentrated on the burning letters, that she didn't even notice that Captain America himself walked in and sat down next to her, watching the scene silently.

After a while, he spoke up. ''I talked to the guardians today,'' he said slowly. A wrinkle could be seen on his handsome face. A sign that he did not know where to start. ''So?'' the assassin brought out, just as unsure as of the patriot. ''What about it?'' Fiddling with his hands to hide his anxiousness, Steve decided to spill the hot tea no one wanted to hear.

''Gamora absolutely told me not to tell you this kind of information. But I thought you should now,'' he started. Natasha nodded with a simple and casual eye-roll. ''Just spill it already. You are making me nervous as hell.'' The wrinkle in his face only deepened -even though she thought it wasn't possible. ''Nat. Please, watch your language.'' The blonde rolled her eyes again. ''Just tell me. How hard can it be?''

''Lauren sacrificed herself for us so we had more time to prepare for war. She did not die out of stupidity or arrogance. She died a true hero.'' Steve's words surprised her. Maybe she did not die in vain. She served a true purpose. A sad smile appeared on her face as she stood up and straightened her back. ''I finally can find my peace with her death and avenge her in the right way,'' she muttered under her breath. But even the blonde male caught her voice with ease and nodded with a sympathetic smile. ''Yes. We will.''