Ch 14

Vaun sat in the back of the wagon, Lissy's head upon his shoulder as the trees passed them by in a blur. She needed all the air she could get, and so the shutters had been pulled open on the window that looked through to the driving bench. Her head was buried in Vaun's shoulder though, tears still trailing down her cheeks to land on his coat. All he could do was wrap an arm around her thin shoulders as the wagon hit another bump in the road.

On the main road between Darkharobur and Faydura one would expect a better surface, it was only as Vaun took a peek over Lissy's head to look out did he realise the surroundings weren't the familiar ones he knew.

"Where are we?" Branoff couldn't seem to hear him over the noise of the rolling wheels and the thumps of the horse's hooves. This horse wasn't made for speed, but he sure knew how to run when asked to. If Branoff heard Vaun, he didn't answer him.

He wanted to ask again, but another pothole had Vaun tightening his hold on Lissy as the force of the wagon's rise and fall had her sliding away from him and towards the doors. They may have been closed with the latch hooked on, but they wouldn't be hard to open should she fall against them.

Vaun slid his hand beneath her arm, helping her to climb off him and shift to his opposite side. She would be safer there, and maybe just, it would put his mind at rest.

A few more carts and wagons had rolled out of the town along with them, a sign that despite the smiles they painted on and the cheers they gave on command, the people didn't like the regime of the guards any more than Vaun did.

He wondered about the ship he had seen entering the harbour and the people rushing to it to help with whatever cargo needed unloading. Did they know a boy was marching to his death, a boy that may very well have been their son? Did they know and simply turn a blind eye for fear of being killed themselves?

As Lissy gave another gasp for breath, Vaun shook his mind free and placed his focus on her.

"You should move up to the window." She shook her head but did as told. A small hand clung to his cloak, fingers refusing to untangle from the deep grey fabric.

Vaun moved with her, for at least by her side he could act as a support to keep her steady when the next pothole would come, and from those they had bounced over already, he knew it was inevitable.

She thankfully placed her face close to the window, breathing in the fresh air that blew in like a rough coastal wind. If Lissy falling didn't open the wagon doors, Vaun wondered if the wind would.

From his new position he could see clearer, the trees all around were growing thicker and thicker before thinning out. From here, he could also call through to Branoff, giving the man no excuse not to answer.

"Shortcut." His voice was clipped.

"I know these parts." Vaun knew this was no shortcut.

"A shortcut from death." That, Vaun couldn't argue with.

The horse ran on until it seemed unable to run any more, and by then, a more maintained looking road was before them. They slowed and all the bumps and wobbles stilled. Vaun was glad, for his stomach was beginning to feel as queasy as a cup of ale too many, and the fish in his bag was starting to stink up the enclosed space.

He was pleased when Branoff slowed the horse to an almost stop. It was only then that he fully let Lissy go, confident she wouldn't fall or pass out from the tears that were now mostly dried up. She was still shaken, but what girl wouldn't be?

Her first time down from the mountains, on the flatlands, and she witnessed the stripping and humiliation of a boy the same age as she, whilst he was manhandled with daggers and swords held against him. Lissy was no fool, no matter how naive she may seem. She knew what would come next.

The Tale TellerOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara