Ch 16

The master leaned over, expression turning to concern. "Are you well?"

"I... Yes, of course." Vaun folded the letter as quickly as he had opened it before taking them both and pushing them deep into his bag. "I thank you."

"And I wish you well." With a nod Vaun bid his brief goodbye, leaving the master, his apprentice, and his rookery behind.

As he stepped out into the street he squinted at the harsh bright lights. Although soft, they were a big contrast to the darkness of the rookery.

Vaun's eyes searched for the neighbouring towers in wonder of which one belonged to Feenad, the man with a rookery of his own and a new title before his name. The question didn't last long though, for Celise's letter came right back into the forefront of Vaun's mind.

He hadn't dared read it inside the rookery, for the master was too keen to help and Vaun couldn't think of a single reason why she would write to him that didn't include news the man ought not to see. She very well may have sent this letter before Vaun had last seen her, but if so, why hadn't she mentioned it? No, this was about something else, and Vaun doubted it was news he wanted to share.

He kept it locked safely in his bag as he marched down Rookery Street and into Harbour Street. Here, there was hardly a local tongue to be heard. Everywhere around him sailors called out, along with traders and general passersby. A few men shouted in the common tongue, but they were muffled by the overall crowds of Albazkurish.

Vaun walked past them all with eyes locked on the space before each step. He didn't want distractions, didn't wish to be stopped or mislead. He knew he should focus more, but how could he with a letter from Celise in his bag? He needed to be alone to read it, and he needed to read it now.

It wasn't easy to find, but Vaun darted down the first empty alleyway he could see. It stank of urine and some strange dish cooking nearby. Vaun squeezed himself deeper along it until the shadows swallowed him whole. Only then did he dare take the bag from his shoulder and tug the letter free.

He unfolded it with shaking hands, not sure if he really wished to read this or not. What good would it be to put it off though? When it wasn't like Celise to write to him, it had to be of great importance. A string of reasons went through his mind on what this could be about, few of them good. He would never know if he didn't read it though.

Trying to clear his mind, he brought the paper up close to the light from a nearby window and began to figure out what the letters spelt out. There was a greeting, which was nothing more than his name. It was followed by a short paragraph that made Vaun's blood run cold.

"No." He read over it again, careful to make sure he took in each and every letter. This wasn't something he could mess up and make mistakes with.

It was a simple letter, straight to the point in a way that made the news that much more painful.

Opan had been captured.

Imprisoned by guards.

Celise had counted the days since Vaun had left her to let him know when. Counting from then, it had been five days past. Vaun couldn't focus enough to think of where he had been at that time, what he had been doing. He had been drowning in his own misery whilst the only father figure he knew was being dragged away; he knew that much.

Folding the letter up again, Vaun slid it back into his bag.

Celise hadn't told of what had happened, or why. Perhaps there was a good reason for that. Vaun knew she would be alone right now, living in an inn that she hadn't mentioned in her letter. Had it been targetted like Blue Anne's in Appleton? He didn't know, and that only made things worse.