Ch 27

Winter's first flakes of snow came as the sun set. It was another grey day, growing darker as the clouds brought with it the white that blended so well with the sky that Vaun couldn't see it falling until it hit the horse's back. According to the last road marker they passed, it was only a few more miles to Lakekeeldor, but Vaun doubted they'd reach it tonight.

The snow was sudden and heavy, quickly affecting the visibility and the pace the horse had been moving at. All too soon, Branoff had no choice but to pull over.

"We'll make camp."

Vaun squinted through the snow at the shadows of the trees at the edge of the forest. They'd give shelter, and odd broken twigs and branches may feed a fire should they manage to get one to light. Branoff steered the horse and wagon towards them, parking beneath the overhanging canopy they created.

"I'll look for sticks." Vaun jumped off the bench before Branoff could stop him, marching off between the trees in search of a place to relieve himself and a moment's peace.

He and Branoff had barely spoken since leaving Cragbarrow but there was a tension in the air. Vaun hadn't said much about why he wanted to join the man in the mountains and Branoff didn't seem to know anymore when it came to asking. It was clear he was struggling with his own issues though, likely nerves regarding returning home without Lissy and no happy story to share. Vaun left him with his own thoughts, thankful for how Branoff returned the favour. When they were living in silence it was wrong for Vaun to crave time away from him. The truth was he wanted time away from himself.

His head echoed with thoughts of Celise and the image of her tears as they had ridden away. It had only been a few days, but he missed her more than he knew how to convey. A part of him regretted leaving, but there was still a strong gut feeling that this was for the best. This way, Vaun could prepare for a future together should it come, whilst creating space for all the troubles inside to heal.

Once relieved behind a tree almost twice the thickness of Vaun, he began gathering whatever twigs could be found. Once his arms were full, he made his way back to Branoff, steps slowing as the snow drifted its way between the first few trees.

"It'll lie." Vaun nodded. The ground was cold enough, and the rain had stayed away for the last day or so, leaving nothing there to wash the snow into slush.

"Think he'll be alright?" Vaun waved a hand towards the horse, who was tied to a tree and reaching for every strand of grass he could find.

"He'll be fine. Look at him, he's a big hairy thing like myself. Laddies like us, we're made to stand the cold!" Branoff gave a grin, teamed up with a proud thump to his chest. Gone was the glimmer in his eyes though. When Lissy had jumped off that cliff, it had gone with her.

"You won't begrudge me your blanket then." Branoff's expression changed at that to a frown that was a mixture of displeasure and shock. Vaun almost smirked in response.

"Ye need to toughen up boy, the mountains will do that for ye though!" His face was back to that of pride. From the moment Vaun had met him, it was clear home and family were two very important things to Branoff. Vaun still couldn't shake the voice in his head which whispered about Lissy though. No matter how the journeys brought them to a point of civility, Vaun could never forgive Branoff for that, as much as he understood his reasons and his pain.

"That's what I'm hoping for."

"Eh, it would be good to see some meat on yer bones. I bet ye're sweetling would like it too."

"Had she the full pantry of winters past, she'd have me as wide as that horse." Branoff gave a short huff of a laugh before taking a few of the sticks Vaun had placed at his feet, beginning to build them into what would hopefully become their campfire.