Ch 19

The journey between Ebonton and Appleton was the quietest Vaun had ever travelled. It was odd when much of his travelling life had been alone. With company usually came conversation, but he didn't wish to speak with Branoff, and Branoff seemed content enough to close himself away with his own thoughts.

They took turns driving the horse whilst the other either sat still or took time alone in the back of the wagon. There was a tension, a thick atmosphere that felt suffocating at the best of times, but it was what they both needed.

At Appleton, Vaun expected Branoff to slow the horse for them to part ways. Instead, he drove the gelding on harder, through the rather quiet streets almost isolated by the heavy rain and harsh winds. They had been so rough at times that the wagon had almost felt as though it would tip, and Vaun and Branoff both found themselves gripping either the bench or the rail in front of it. The buildings sheltered them now though, yet the rain still poured.

There were no guards to be seen in Appleton, but Vaun didn't believe that they were gone. They were probably just hiding from the rain like everyone else in the village.

Vaun made to say something to Branoff but the rain drowned out his voice. He let the man carry on, for what difference did it make when every roll of the wagon's wheels was worth at least five of Vaun's steps. He didn't know Branoff's plan or how far north he was planning to go, but Vaun sat back, empty of all care.

They travelled until Appleton was behind them, and Vaun almost wished they had stopped. He needed to relieve himself, and it would have been nice to check up on Blue Anne. He wondered if she had been able to dry up the tears and heal the bruises. If she had money, food. He would have given her a few of his coins should she have needed them. Now, he would have to wait a little longer to know.

When the night began to fall, Branoff still rode the horse on until he was snorting and tripping over his own feet from exhaustion. It was then they knew it was time to pull over and set up a camp for the evening. The horse was tied to a tree to graze whilst Branoff got out the last two bread rolls. They were meant for him and Lissy. Knowing this, Vaun struggled to take the one offered. He ate it though, not knowing where his next bite of food may come from.

"So, what's ye're plan?" With an eyebrow raise from Vaun, Branoff continued, "ye're going to check up on the girl and her father, then what?"

Vaun gave a one-shouldered shrug before a soft sigh followed it. "I don't know, depends how they are."

"If they're well?" 

Vaun doubted they would be. "Then...I'll see if they need company for a while. I'll stay with her and try to get her father free, I don't trust those guards around her." 

Branoff gave a smirk, before turning away to look out into the night. The rain had eased, but it still lingered enough for it to be heard on the wagon roof and for it to blur the visibility all around.

"Ye're keen on her, I can see it in ye're eyes." Vaun ignored him, but he knew his silence said it all.

Celise meant a lot to him, she was his waking thought each morning. Only a fool could deny that there was more to his feelings than attraction and a sense of family.

"Her father has just been imprisoned." A romance would be the last thing on her mind, especially with how Vaun had treated her before.

"So, she might be looking for a bit of comforting." Branoff gave a wink, and Vaun once again ignored him. "Laddie, if ye need some time with the girl, to talk, whatever, just let me know."

"You're going to Cragbarrow?" Now, Vaun fully turned to him. He knew he shouldn't be surprised, and deep down he wasn't, but he did struggle to understand why. Branoff had a wife and children to get home to, and it was obvious that he missed them.