Ch 23

Vaun's first night in the inn was spent with Celise. With Lindra entertaining her visitor in their shared bedchamber, she had nowhere else to go. Vaun had been more than willing to welcome her, and he was glad to have her back in his arms the following night.

She was warm and soft with a gentle breath that tickled across his collarbones as she slept. Vaun wished sleep could come for himself, for a proper bed and a beautiful woman was a luxury not to be wasted, but there was too much racing through his mind.

Tonight their rest would be short-lived, for when the dead of dark came they would rise and dress, taking Branoff's wagon to meet John at Nal's. The plan was carefully thought out and both Celise and Branoff's permission and agreement had been given. It all seemed so simple and straightforward, but Vaun couldn't help but worry.

Last night one man had been here with Lindra, tonight all three girls had company, though where they squeezed their visitors in Vaun didn't know, nor did he want to. He and Celise had heard the thumping of a bed against a wall at the far side of the house, a scattered rhythm that ended far sooner than expected. Although they'd giggled at it until forced to move beneath the covers for fear of being heard, Vaun hated the fact the men were here.

They made him uneasy, especially on a night like tonight where he and Celise were soon to sneak out. If they were caught he couldn't trust the men to keep their mouths shut. There was also the chance of the guards witnessing the men arriving. For all Vaun knew they could be laying in wait to raid the inn and catch the couples in the act. If so, there was no way for Vaun and Celise to claim innocence. She might not be a whore and he wasn't a customer, but they were still unmarried, sharing a bed with bodies entwined. As comfortable as he was here with her, it made him uneasy too.

Vaun tried to calm himself by leaning his head against Celise's, one hand gently stroking up and down her back. He listened to her breath, wishing they didn't have to rise to bury a man who shouldn't be dead.

She still hadn't told him what had happened, and he hadn't gotten the chance to ask John. Vaun new Opan should have been here though, in his own bed, sleeping without a worry in the world. If Vaun could take back time, altered it, then he would have. He didn't know what he could have done to stop the imprisonment or the death that followed, but he still would have tried.

His stroking must have been a little too vigorous or tickly, for Celise stirred, humming softly against his bare chest before arching her neck to search for his face.

"Is it time to go?" Her sleepy voice was as cute as a fox cub's whimper.

"Not yet." The middle of the night came when the moonlight disappeared from the small east-facing window, concealing it behind the outshot of the house as it shifted south. The moon was small tonight and the clouds still covered it, but its light was enough for the time to be told.

Celise sighed, hand sweeping up Vaun's chest to rest on his shoulder. "Why aren't you asleep?"

"Don't worry about me." He knew she had enough filling her thoughts tonight. It wasn't easy to say goodbye to someone, especially a parent, and especially with the circumstances of death.

"Hm, I do though."

"I know." Vaun kissed the top of her head, soothing up and down her back until he heard her breath even out again.

It was best if she got as much rest as possible for the coming day would be a long one with an emotional torment that Vaun was dreading having to watch her go through. He knew he would hurt himself, but his own feelings were pushed aside for thought of Celise's.

All too soon it was time for Vaun to rub his hand up and down Celise's back once more, this time with whispers in her ear to wake her. She quickly stirred, pushing herself up with a yawn and a rub to her tired eyes. Vaun hadn't slept at all. Celise had, but it hadn't been much.