Chapter 7: Reality

A/N: RachaelLA26 did some amazing beta work on this chapter, thank you to her! If you liked this (or hated it) please let me know about it in a review! I make a new mood board for each chapter of this story, find them on my Tumblr crochetawayhpff,...

A/N: RachaelLA26 did some amazing beta work on this chapter, thank you to her! If you liked this (or hated it) please let me know about it in a review! I make a new mood board for each chapter of this story, find them on my Tumblr crochetawayhpff, my facebook Shan Crochetaway, or on the AO3 or Wattpad versions.

~0o0~

Chapter 7: Reality

~0o0~

September 2002

Hermione's Flat

Diagon Alley, London, England

~0o0~

Hermione trudged home after a brutal first day back to work after her long vacation. She wasn't looking forward to dealing with Tom either, but her boss had been an unmitigated terror all day long. Dealing with Tom wouldn't be nearly that bad. She could only hope, at least.

Entering her flat, she realized it was dark and quiet. Hermione furrowed her brow and flicked her wand to turn on the lights.

"Tom?"

No reply. Instantly, both panic and rage fill her. Panic because Tom isn't where he's supposed to be. Has something happened to him? What if he's hurt? And rage because she knows deep down that he hasn't followed her instructions. He's gone off to find some of his former Death Eater's, she's sure of it.

Fuck!

What should she do? Try to find him? Hermione felt frozen with indecision. She had no idea where Tom would go or who would accept him. He spoke of Abraxas Malfoy, so perhaps to Malfoy Manor but that was not a place that Hermione would be welcome at. And if Tom somehow managed to convince Lucius or Draco Malfoy into believing he was who he said he was... she didn't let that thought finish. She had to find him. But how?

Hermione ran through her flat, quickly determining that Tom was indeed gone. Shit. Fuck. Shit.

She did the only thing that she could think of doing; Floo-calling Harry and Ron, who still lived in Grimmauld Place despite the fact that Harry and Ginny were married. Hermione wasn't even sure she'd catch them, but the panic was rising fast and she felt like she had to do something. She had to act—now—before this got out of hand.

"Harry! Ron!" she knelt down at her fireplace, her head stuffed through the flames as she peered around the sitting room at Grimmauld Place, hoping one of them was nearby.

"Hermione? What's wrong?" Ginny's feet appeared and she kneeled so Hermione could see her face.

"Are Harry or Ron there, Gin? I've got an issue I'm hoping they can help with."

"Er, yes, hang on..." Ginny trailed off as she stood and walked out of the room.

Hermione tapped her fingers against her hearth as she waited for one of the boys to come through. They weren't really boys, not anymore, but she'd always think of them as her boys.