Chapter 12: Backlash

A/N: RachaelLA26 beta'd this chapter as usual! If you liked this (or hated it) please let me know about it in a review! I make a new mood board for each chapter of this story, find them on my Tumblr crochetawayhpff, my facebook Shan Crochetaway, o...

A/N: RachaelLA26 beta'd this chapter as usual! If you liked this (or hated it) please let me know about it in a review! I make a new mood board for each chapter of this story, find them on my Tumblr crochetawayhpff, my facebook Shan Crochetaway, or on the AO3 or Wattpad versions.

Also, I'm not sure I've said, but this story is 18 chapters long and complete! So six more chapters to go after this one!

~0o0~

Chapter 12: Backlash

~0o0~

February 2003

Hermione's Flat

Diagon Alley, London, England

~0o0~

Tom knew that he would enjoy the intrigue of the Wizengamot and he wasn't disappointed. He'd only been on the legislature for a few weeks, but he took to it like a Kappa to water. He couldn't wait until he could really begin laying the groundwork for his eventual overhaul of the entire government. He had already started feeling people out and deciding who could be useful and who had to go. It was thrilling and Tom enjoyed every bit of it.

He was surprised when he returned home to a dark flat. He'd thought Hermione would be home already, as she often was home earlier than him these days.

"Hello? Hermione?" Tom called out as he stepped out of the Floo.

"I'm here," Hermione murmured from the couch.

Tom waved his hand, lighting the candles and was shocked at Hermione's appearance. She had blood in her hair, and her cloak was soaked in places. She hadn't even taken it off. She was shivering and Tom rushed to her side, his wand in his hand to cast a diagnostic over her.

"What happened?" Tom asked when he was sure the diagnostic was showing nothing more than a few bumps and bruises. The cut on the back of her head had scabbed over already, but Tom cleaned it the best he could through her bushy hair. Hermione was silent through his ministrations.

"Hermione?" Tom said, holding her hands in his. She was still shivering, so Tom Vanished her cloak and cast a warming spell on the robes beneath. "Hey, Hermione?" he cupped her cheek, bringing her face to look at his. Her eyes were glassy with either shock or tears or both. "What happened, love?"

Hermione blinked her eyes and seemed to rouse for a moment, finally looking him in the eyes and Tom swore then and there that whoever had done this to her would pay.

"I was attacked," she whispered.

"Oh, love," Tom pulled her to him and hugged her close for a moment. Then he pulled back to look her in the eyes again. "Can you tell me what happened?" A sudden, sickening thought occurred to him and he recast his diagnostic charm, this time on her entire body. He breathed a sigh when he realized she hadn't been raped.