Chapter 8: Splinter

A/N: Much thanks to RachaelLA26 for her beta work on this chapter! If you liked this (or hated it) please let me know about it in a review! Find me on Tumblr at crochetawayhpff or Facebook at Shan Crochetaway!

~0o0~

Chapter 8: Splinter

~0o0~

September 2002

Ministry of Magic

London, England

~0o0~

"No, it's really not fine!" Harry hissed at her. "He's the fucking Dark Lord, Hermione! You can't think you can control him."

Hermione sighed and ran her hands through her hair in frustration. She and Harry had been having the same argument for a week and a half. They were currently in his office at the Ministry as she didn't rate an office, being not much more than a glorified secretary. She sat in his visitor's chair; they were supposed to be having lunch but their food lay forgotten on his desk between them.

"It's less about control, and more about molding him into a better person, Harry. Showing him a little love and giving him different choices. Different options." Hermione tried to explain how she knew it was possible, but the right words just didn't want to come out of her mouth. She was getting more and more frustrated.

Harry rolled his eyes. "You're taking the piss, you know that? He was conceived with a love potion, he can't love anyone or anything."

"That is just conjecture and has never been proven," Hermione hissed. "That's Dumbledore bullshit and you know it."

"Dumbledore was a great man," Harry began, but Hermione cut him off before he could get comfortable in his 'Dumbledore was a great man' speech.

"Come off it, Harry! Dumbledore was just as manipulative as Voldemort! Probably more so! At least with Voldemort, his followers knew exactly what they were getting in to. Dumbledore hoodwinked you for six fucking years and then died and left you with an impossible quest."

"An impossible quest that I accomplished, Hermione!" Harry shouted.

"Really? Was it all you, Harry James Potter? You had no fucking help from anyone else?" Hermione snapped.

"Oh, come off it. You know, you were very helpful. But still, Dumbledo—"

"If you say, 'a great man,' I'm going to leave," Hermione hissed. "What about what Dumbledore did to Snape? Hmm? That wasn't all that 'great' of him, was it? And what about you? Leaving you with the Dursleys? You can't honestly tell me that was for your best interests was it?"

"But the blood—"

"How are you an Auror and still this damned naïve, Harry? There are other warding spells, other ways to hide someone. Dumbledore left you with abusive Muggles on purpose. Hell, he even knew you were living in a fucking cupboard! And he let it happen. Why do you think that is?"