On Top of the World

- Where we going? - Liam asked curiously while being dragged by Charlie.

- To the backyard.

- Are we allowed to go there? - He asked, raising his eyebrow.

- No idea, Li. - Charlie honestly answered.

During all the four years of his school life, he never saw a student using the backdoor. It was only for the staff. It even said so with big black letters.

They reached the fire escape on the backside wall of the school building.

- Let's go up, - Charlie suggested.

Liam looked hesitant. They were so going to get into trouble. Not that they weren't the two cheerful and bubbly troublemakers that everyone adored, but climbing to the roof is a bit too far.

- But I can't get to the first one. It's too high. - He tried to find a reason. If it wasn't for Charlie, he would be the perfect good boy that never did anything wrong. But he preferred having fun with his best friend that was a little authoritative over him. Good to know the teachers liked them and didn't get too angry for talking during the class.

Without any warning, Charlie bent down and made him sit on his shoulders. He stood up with Liam that grabbed his hair, afraid to fall down and squeaked from the surprising gesture.

- Problem solved! - Charlie smirked proudly.

After Liam managed to reach the stairs and climb up, Charlie jumped and easily joined him.

Once they stood on the roof, Liam almost slipped, but Charlie immediately steadied him from behind. If Louis or Harry ever found out about it, they would never let both of them leave the house again.

- Be careful, Li! - Charlie warned and took his hand, walking to the center.

When Liam forgot about his fear, he noticed the beautiful scenery in front of them. The milky rays of the sun crossed through the fresh, green leaves of the trees. The buildings in the distance reminded of an animated movie scene. The autumn wind played with their hair and made them forget about the school.

- Wow! I didn't know it was so beautiful here! - Liam gasped, amazed by the sight.

-Yeah. And they force us to sit in the boring classrooms the whole time. - Charlie chuckled.

- You came here before?

- Yeah. Me and Zac were here during my first year.

- Did uncle Chris and uncle Tom know about it? - Liam asked, turning his attention to Charlie.

- Of course not! Can you imagine us going home and saying 'Hey, dad! You know what? You don't even let me ride a bike yet, but yeah, I climbed the roof.' And they won't know about this one, ok? And your dads too, Li.

- Ok, - Liam sadly nodded. He knew he had to hide it, no matter how much he hated lying to them. But he also wanted to tell Louis about how great it was.

- Promise? - Charlie asked, already knowing what was going on in that curly little head.

- Promise. - Liam pouted but still gave him a pinky promise.

After staying on top of the school for a while, the boys decided to sneak back inside. They were quietly giggling, completely satisfied with themselves, and hoping that no teacher would find them.

They almost succeeded. But then, Liam accidentally banged into someone's strong abs. (Yup, that's how short he still was) He froze in his spot and looked up, his puppy eyes already in action. But what surprised him was who he saw.

- Zaynie?! - He gasped, widening his eyes.

Charlie just stood beside him, awkwardly. He was surprised too. Zayn graduated three months ago. Wasn't he supposed to be as far away from the school as possible? Charlie was finally hoping to have more freedom for his 'evil plans' but Zayn was still there for some reasons.

- You two, follow me, now! - Zayn said sternly and went to the students union, the only place where you didn't have to be quiet the whole time.

Liam and Charlie followed him, looking down, holding hands. Zayn leaned to a table and crossed his arms over his chest.

- May I know what you were doing on the roof? - He asked seriously.

Before Liam could tell him how sorry he was and that he would never do that again, Charlie looked up and asked:

- How did you know that?!

- Can you believe it? I have those round things called eyes and noticed you from outside? You are lucky it was me, not the dean. - He said shaking his head disappointingly.

- I am sorry, Zaynie. - Liam said in a small voice, still looking down.

Zayn just huffed and took their hands.

- Let's get going.

The car ride was silent. They dropped off Charlie and headed to their houses. Liam wanted to know why was Zayn picking him up, instead of his fathers, but he was feeling too guilty to say anything.

- You understand that it was dangerous, right? - Zayn scolded, looking at the boy's reflection in the mirror. Liam just nodded, fiddling with his fingers nervously.

- Li, you could have slipped or fallen from the stairs. I don't want you to get hurt. And climbing onto a roof of a building is not ok, even if you guys were my age. I am not mad, Li. You are still kids and I know how much you like playing and having fun. But promise me to never ever do anything close to that again. You are going to school to study, not break your arms and legs.

- I am sorry. I won't do it again, Zaynie.

Zayn smiled at him sweetly. He had enough of sad Liam. Now he wanted his Liam back.

- That's good. Now, what movie are we going to watch when we get home? - He asked in his best friend manner.

- You choose, - Liam smiled at him shyly.

- What if we watch 'Up'? You seem too eager about higher places? - He suggested, chuckling to himself.

- Ok. - Liam giggled, getting back to his cheerful self again.

The unanswered questions still bothered him, but he was just too happy that Zayn was there. Even with Charlie and Zac, he was still feeling a little lonely, when Zayn graduated. But, when he was sure that his friend would move for college, Zayn just said: "I will always live right next to you, Liam." His parents moved to a new house, but Zayn never left.

" His parents moved to a new house, but Zayn never left

VOTE
COMMENT
SHARE 😎