xx

Song : Everglow (Coldplay)

" Hi. I'm Maria."

Eren noticed a girl of about 14 looking at her. She was really gorgeous with tanned skin, grey eyes and wild curly hair. Her smile was wide and kind of contagious because Eren found herself smiling soon after.

"Hi Maria. I'm Eren." She introduced and Maria, like Miguel, hugged her warmly.

"Is it your first time here?" Maria asked, settling down comfortable on the seat across Eren. They were seated at a corner empty booth with a nice view of the stage.

"Yeah. I'm surprised I never knew of this place before but I never really go out much so I think I missed this part. I really like it here though." Eren smiled.

"Noah did a good job bringing you here. Get ready to be swooned." Maria giggled.

"Does he sing here often?"

"Not really." Maria smiled, her eyes deep in thought as she rested her chin against her palm and eyes dancing in the crowd. "I was 10 when Noah first came here. Papa brought him in, really. I think he was fighting outside our door during closing time because he was all battered and bruised. Not really a pretty sight. He didn't talk much then. But he kept coming once in a while, just to sit and watch the performers perform." Maria looked at Eren and smiled again. "One day I caught him singing to himself so being the annoying 10 year old I was, I pushed him to sing. Told him his mama would have liked it. So he grabbed the guitar and sang a song I was not aware of but I remembered falling in love with how he portrayed the song: full of raw emotions and passion. It was beautiful. After that he did come here but he always sang. People love him and his voice. You'll see why."

Eren felt the weight of Maria's words after they fell into comfortable silence, except the hushed voices of people talking in a distance. She knew for a fact that Noah had gone through a lot, even when she had no idea what exactly. It was visible in his eyes, his face, the way he spoke, the way he tried to conceal it was also visible. That's why she didn't want to ask any more than she should.

But looking at him perk up when they arrived here, she understood everyone needed an escape from their problems once in a while. And if music made him forget about how the world was cruel, then so be it. She wanted him to be happy.

"Hello everyone!" Miguel's cheerful voice filled the diner and everyone applauded or made hooting sounds. It was lively and Eren just felt happy sitting there and being part of it all.

"As we all know, we have so many talented performers here," another round of cheers and apppause, "but.." Miguel grinned, making the people anticipate what he was going to say, "but, we have a special person who came after a long, long time. Are you excited!?"

"Is it Noah?!" Someone from the crowd asked and everybody erupted into yet another round of cheers.

Miguel smiled. "Yes! It is our very own Noah Sky. Give it up for him!"

The crowd warmly welcomed him with applause and cheers and Eren watched intently as Noah walked into stage, a guitar in his hand. He was smiling. The kind of smile that made the corner of his eyes crinkle and made Eren's heart stutter as it skipped beats. He looked happy, content and at peace.

"Hi everyone." He softly spoke through the microphone, sitting down on a stool and keeping the guitar in position. "I know it's been long but thanks for the very warm welcome. I appreciate it. Thank you Miguel for taking me in again and Maria, I missed you, Bella chica" Noah grinned, looking at Maria and winking while she cheered for him with a laugh.

Noah's eyes then rested on Eren's smiling face who smiled the more and clapped when she realised he was looking at her. He returned the smile and his eyes drifted back at the crowd, gently strumming the guitar.

The room felt silent at the first chord and Eren found herself intently staring at Noah up on the stage, the way his eyes creased, waiting for that perfect timing, his hands gently strumming the guitar, not a trace of hesitation. Just watching him made her heart heavy. She did allow herself to feel tonight but up to what extent she didn't know yet. She only knew her heart being filled in a euphoric state, as it slowly felt heavier with emotions that she had managed to suppress.

Noah started singing and Eren noticed it was Coldplay's 'Everglow'. She'd listen to this song when she just wanted to think, to feel. But Noah singing right now made her eyes waver over to him on the stage, taking in his presence as he radiated his passion and emotions through his voice. Every word, every tune, cut deep into her heart and it felt like she could actually feel the wight of the lyrics, like it was actually meant for her. Letting out a shaky breath, she continued looking at Noah, even when he lifted his head up to look at her.

Eren didn't know when he reached the end of the song. Maybe it was because she was so focused on how he made her heart waver or maybe she was so focused on how passionately he was singing or how he kept looking at her, like he was trying to convey those message to her.

But a tear did manage to escape her eyes when he sang the last part of the song. Maybe because she understood what he really wanted to tell.

"Oh what I would give for just a moment to hold,
Yeah, I live for this feeling, this everglow,
So if you love someone, you should let them know.
Oh the light that you left me,
Will Everglow."

The crowd cheered in utter astonishment, happy to have one of their favorite singers back. But Eren just stared at Noah with watery eyes, heart and mind heavy with guilt for what she did to him. Being ignorant of her own feelings only hurt her in the end and that was enough for her tears to spill in grief and regret.

Noah held her gaze, looking away once in a while to greet people that congratulated him but in the end, it was always her eyes he went back to. After walking around the crowd, Noah finally reached Eren's table, Maria smiling at the both of them and leaving them be.

"Hey." Noah softly smiled and sat down next to Eren as she sniffled and quickly wiped her eyes though it just got teary the next second.

"I'm sorry." Eren just said, not daring to look up, hands clenched tightly.

There was no response and Eren started to think that maybe sorry wouldn't make him less hurt than he already was, but that thought dissipated when she noticed Noah's hands wrapping around her own, and gently loosening them out so that he could hold them instead. She whipped her head up to look at Noah, confusion visible in her features but found him just smiling down sadly at her. Eren didn't want him to smile sadly. She wanted him to smile like he did when he talked to Miguel. She wanted him to smile like he did when he was on stage. Not sadly, like he'd already given up.

"I know." He whispered and gently wiped the stray tear that had fallen. "I know."

Maybe Noah still had questions and maybe Eren still had her reasons. But for now, this particular moment when Noah shyly pulled away and just sat there, or when Eren quietly sniffled in his presence was enough for them to understand that no matter what tomorrow brings, their hearts would just find their way back to each other. Just maybe.

-