ONE

THE PRIVILEGED

THE YEAR OF 2937

THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE

A SONG TO SET THE MOOD: HOW — THE NEIGHBORHOOD

CHAPTER ONE: SKAGS

THE CAR CRASHED.

"Look out!" He cried, reaching over to yank the steering wheel out of the driver's grasp.

His attempt to jerk the automobile away from the once living organism had failed as they collided instantaneously. 

The vehicle soon went swiveling away after the impact.  The body of the animal that had been hit was jerking back and forth on the sandy ground, writhing in seething pain.

The ringing in his ears was unbearable for him.  Fortunately, it wasn't as bad as the dizziness he felt as they spun for what felt like hours on end. 

Seeing the same scorching desert through the windshield over and over again at a fast rate was definitely not on his bucket list.

A sensation of nasuea overcame him, but it soon had vanished when the sound of tires screeching and brakes being pressed down on could be heard. They had finally come to a stop.

It took him a short moment to catch his lingering breath as he took in what had just happened in the last few seconds of his life.  He noticed how his breathing was off-key and erratic, so he at least tried to slow his constant inhaling and exhaling of quick, frightened breaths.

Before the brunet could speak to ask if the other passengers were alright from the harsh impact of the crash, a strong force gripped his shirt collar before slamming his back against the door next to his leather seat.

The man who had been driving them to their destination stared down at him with an infuriated glint in his determined eyes.  He definitely wasn't in a good mood today.

"What the hell?" He spat in his face. "What on god's green earth was that?  You fucking imbecile!" His split knuckles were pressing against his throat, constricting his airflow. "Are you out of your fucking mind?"

"I- I. . ." A small squeak slipped past his lips and his eyes widened like saucers in fear, ". . . was trying to prevent you from running that thing over!"

The other just simply let out an almost sinister laugh in response, shortly collecting himself and mustering the strength to form a snappy reply, "I had things under control, but your dumb ass thought that it would be smart to grab the wheel and lead us right into that stupid skag!

Its life doesn't matter much anyways, things like that are already overpopulating the damn planet."

Overpopulating?  Crazy people like him were definitely the ones overpopulating the planet, not a guilty skag who eats people in order to survive, rather than a person that enjoys killing and torturing innocent people for fun.