Bucky Barnes

(AN: it's literally been two million years (okay, three) since i've touched wattpad. but i'm feeling the endgame feels and felt like writing some 40's bucky.)

"James, you better hurry up," You called up the stairs, his jacket draped over your forearms. "We're going to be late for your own train!" You called again.

Your husband finally appeared at the top of the stairs, racing to get down. You helped put on his jacket and hat. The sight of him like this should make you feel excited, but the sudden reminder that your people were at war, and the fact that Bucky was about to fight... It was everything but exciting. 

You took a deep breath to compose yourself. "You look great." You said, smiling up at him. He smiled back, taking your hand in his, and nodded towards the car. "Thank you," His smile turned into a mischievous smirk. "Let's go, hm?" 

The streets were packed. People, cars - it seemed like the entire population had gathered to farewell the troops. It was pretty much impossible to park the car closer to the ships, so you and Bucky had to walk for a little while. You smiled as you watched children playing, despite the weather and sludgy gravel underfoot. Part of you wanted to just grab Bucky and turn around and leave behind what was, at this point, inevitable. You were snapped out of it as Bucky quickly unlinked your arm from his and formally greeted his superior. They exchanged a few words before Bucky was lead over to a man behind a desk. 

"James Barnes... Ah, here- good luck, soldier." He addressed his superior once more before. As soon as he turned back to you, he dropped his professional stature. You let out a small chuckle as he wrapped his hands around you.

It turned into a long hug. You felt him exhale and relax into you as you hugged each other tighter. 

"Bucky, I'm-" You brought in a shaky breath. He noticed your discomfort and immediately pulled away, his hands still on your shoulders. "I'm going to miss you." 

He brought his hands up to your face, cupping it gently. "I'm going to miss you too (Y/N), but I'll... Write to you every single chance I get." His facial expression was oddly calm and comforting, but you wondered what was really going on inside that head of his. Bucky smiled warmly before pulling you in for a final kiss. 

"See you when I get back, darling." He whispered with a small smile. You hugged him tightly one last time. Both of you waved at each other until you could just make out a silhouette.

Then, he was gone. You were truly alone.

The first few months passed - you would hear from him every few weeks, at least. You began to worry as the frequency and length of the letters began to falter. 

A knock at the door made you jump, but you reassured yourself it was probably just a neighbour. You opened the door cheerily, but your smile faded as you saw a uniformed man standing with a blank expression on his face. 

"A letter, Mrs Barnes." He pulled a pristine letter from the inside of his jacket. 

"I'm not-" You fumbled for words.

"Are you (Y/N)?" The soldier pressed. You nodded sheepishly as he handed the letter over. There was a hint of sadness in his eyes as he turned away, leaving you in the doorway.

This clean, neat letter did not come from a place of war. It came from an office. You held your breath as you opened it.

Dear (Y/N) Barnes,

We regret to inform you that James Buchanan Barnes has been killed in action. He successfully carried out a mission to destroy HYDRA technology alongside Steve Rogers. 

 He did his duty fearlessly, and his actions will not be forgotten. 

Faithfully,

Corporal  Daniels

A sob escaped your mouth, silently taking over your entire body. He was gone. You were well and truly alone now.

(AN: Hello? Anyone there? A vote or two would be much appreciated. Thank you so much for the support over the years, I'm honestly a little surprised but extremely grateful. If anything else pops into my head, or if you want something written, hit me up!)