Chapter One

Hey everyone! This is my first story on here, so it would mean a lot to me if you guys could leave comments on what you like about it, or what I need to improve on. Thanks so much!

~EDITED~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I listen to the rain pattering against the window, silence filling the compartment the train compartment.  I’m currently on my way to Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry; it will be my first year attending it, but I’ll be going in as a third year. My family and I moved to England after my dad got a job transfer to the Ministry of Magic here. I transferred from the school of Cresco-named from the Latin word to grow. In that school, we started learning magic when we were eight-three years before this school. At Hogwarts I’m the equivalent of a sixth year, but I decided I'd rather spend time around peers my age. Besides, there’s always something new to learn!

The border line that separates the school boundaries goes right through the middle of my house, so I got to choose if I went to Hogwarts or Beauxbaton. I chose Hogwarts because I thought it sounded more fun; my brother Jake, who is the same age as me, decided to attend Durmstrang, because I have cousins that go there.

I glance over at my best friend Zandra (everyone calls her Zan) who was staring at me with her big blue eyes slightly hidden by her silky brown hair. I love Zan to death. We’ve known each other since we were born. I’m not even joking when I say that; we were born on the same day, in the same hospital. My dad has pictures of us lying next to each other in the nursery. Her family moved here the same time mine did, because both of our dads got job transfers. Her brother goes to Durmstrang with my brother; they’re as close as Zan and I are.

I look back down to the words I was writing in my journal. My journal wouldn’t make any sense to anyone else but me, because I only right words, or random sentences in here. I used to keep a “Dear Diary…” type of thing, but I got lazy so now I only write words. I glance back up at Zan again, who is still staring at me. I sigh and shut my journal, marking my place with my index finger. “What?” I ask her.

“I’m trying to read your mind,” she replies like it is the most normal thing in the world. I laugh and hit her with my book before returning to writing in it.

At that moment, there’s a knock at our compartment door. A slightly chubby boy with greenish gray eyes and brown hair pokes his head in. “He-hello, do you mind if we sit here? Everywhere else is full,” he asks. I notice a blond headed girl peaking over his shoulder with a dreamy look on her face.

“Sure,” I say cheerfully, happy to meet some new people. I scoot all the way over to the window to make room for the new-comers. The boy sits beside me and the girl sits by Zan. “I’m Emily,” I introduce myself.

“I’m Zan,” my friend chimes in.

“Nice to meet you, I’m Neville,” the boy says. “This is Luna,” he continues, gesturing to the girl adjacent to me. “I don’t think I’ve seen you around before so am I blind or are you transfers?” Neville asks laughing a little.

I grin at him, “No, you’re not blind, we’re transfers.”

“We come from Cresco in America,” Zan adds.

“I heard about that school, all the witches and wizards are supposed to be really advanced,” Luna says thoughtfully. We just shrug.

“So do you have to go up in the boats like the first years, get sorted with them?” Neville asks. “Yeah, but oh well. I mean, who doesn’t like being put on the spot?” I say sarcastically. Everyone laughs and we go on our merry way, until I decide to go change into my robes.