Chapter One

"I'll always protect you, I'm sorry that things had to end this way."

"Get up, move! You'll kill someone!"

"You will never be enough, you are a piece of shit."

"You killed him, Emma, how could you?"

"You're...a...a monster!"

"You'll die, whether it be by my hand or his."

"Please, don't hurt me!"

"I...I can't be with you. I don't love you, this was all a ploy. Can't you see that?"

"I never loved you, you were just a...just a distraction."

"You kill people for a living, how...how can you live with that?"

"There's a reason your father left you, Emma, you're worthless."

"Fight harder, you will never become an agent if you do not forget."

"Do not listen to them, listen to me, you are an agent of Hydra. You will destroy everything in your path."

"Work with the Winter Soldier on this mission, don't get in his way."

"I will kill you, Emma. When I get out of this trap, you'll be the first to die."

"I hope you're happy, he's dead now."

"I'll get you for this! You bitch!"

"There's no where you can hide."

"I'll always find you."

Emma jolts awake, her heart pounding a million miles a minute. Her eyes gaze around the room, trying to spot familiar objects that would tell her she was home. Well, as home as home could be inside this motel. She was still in the same bed, the same state, and the same motel room. Emma was okay, it was just a dream. 

Her best friend and fellow runaway, April Collins, was in the bed next to hers. April was sound asleep as she could sleep through anything, which usually got her in trouble at Hydra. Emma shakes her head and internally scolds herself, she couldn't think of Hydra. This was a new place, a new world, where Hydra was stronger. She could go back any day, so thinking about happier thoughts made the impending doom seem lighter. If one could say that about Hydra. 

Emma pulls her covers back and slowly climbs out of the bed, her legs shaking slightly from the cold. April had the abilities of ice, which meant that anything around her turned cold constantly. Including their motel room in the early hours of the morning, sometimes being outside was warmer than being next to April. 

Tomorrow, Emma would walk with April through the streets of New York to meet with someone who claimed that they could help the girls. From what they could find, this person wasn't connect to Hydra or SHIELD at all. Which was all they needed to say yes to a meeting in Central Park, though Emma's stomach churned with nerves at the thought of it. How could they trust this person if the girls had never met him or her? This person was a stranger, something that Emma had learned long ago was not to be trusted. 

Emma looks at her reflection in the bathroom mirror. Her blonde hair swept around her face in wavy knots, she had large, dark circles under her eyes, and her shirt was way too big for her body. She looked almost as bad as she felt thanks to that dream, actually she felt just like she had a year and a half ago when she woke up for the first time. 

A Year and A Half Ago
SHIELD BASE - WISCONSIN
Noon

The lights were blinding, they hurt and Emma hadn't even opened her eyes yet. Wait, how could she open her eyes? Ian Charles, the man in charge of her and her missions at Hydra, had laughed in Emma's face and said that she was going to be killed. Though she hadn't done anything to deserve such a punishment, actually Emma hadn't done anything to deserve whatever they threw at her. 

Emma takes a deep breath and her eyes fly open, her body hurt as if she had been crushed by a large rock. Emma turns her head to the side slightly and flinches when her eyes land on a man. He stood a few feet away, dressed in complete leather, with a straight expression. This man had an eye patch over his left eye and his face was almost a scowl, almost. 

When he notices her open eyes, his demeanor changes slightly. The man's shoulders drop, his face contorts into something that resembled relaxation, and he crossed his arms protectively over his chest as if Emma would try something at any second. "Emma Rogers? Known as Agent 12 within Hydra, worked alongside the Winter Soldier on numerous occasions?"

Emma licks her lips and turns her head away slightly. Who was this man? Was he apart of Hydra, about to send her on another mission to assassinate some poor soul who probably didn't deserve it at all? Was she going to be another punching bag for the Winter Soldier? Emma doesn't trust herself to speak and just nods, avoiding eye contact with the man.

"I'm Nick Fury." The man introduces with a small smile. "Let me be the first to welcome you back." 

"W-welcome me back?" Emma stutters, finally pushing a few words from her mouth. "Where did I go?"

"It's a long story." Nick sighs while sitting down on a chair that sat right next to her bed. "I don't want you to freak out about it, it's even hard for us to understand, but I will do my best to answer all of your questions as long as you promise to answer mine. Sound like a deal?"

"I think I can manage." Emma replies while pushing herself to a sitting position despite her screaming muscles. "What do you want to know?" 

"Let's start with your career as an agent. How did you get like that?"