Chapter Twenty-Five

"I don't understand." Emma scoffs while crossing her arms. "None of it was real? Explain this to me!" 

"Do you remember when they had you training a few days ago? You slipped and they told you it wasn't perfect enough?" Edward questions.

"Vaguely," Emma replies.

"They didn't exclude you from the punishments that come with messing up." Zach shakes his head. "They tortured you to the brink of death. I was an agent undercover that was transporting you to your cell when I came across some chemicals that would stop your heart long enough for us to get you out. No one looked at who you were, they just made sure you weren't alive. I pushed you out of the base to a car that was waiting." 

"I was driving," Edward adds while tipping his head to the side. "He called me after he injected you."

"So then I just imagined tricking April and running?" Emma raises her eyebrows. "Why would that be the image my brain gives me on my death bed?"

"I tricked April," Zach admits. "She was the only one who wanted to see the body, so maybe you still heard it and that's what your brain turned it into." 

"This is so weird," Emma grumbles while scoffing her foot against the ground. "You said there was a dead agent in the woods that the Avengers found? Where did that come from?"

"Well, my actual job there is disposing of the bodies of the deceased." Zach shrugs. "I was actually doing something when I found you, I couldn't risk someone asking to help if I was moving two carts...so I kinda just...dumped the body..."

"Ew," Emma mumbles. "So what now? I stay here to rest up before I'm shipped off to a fight?"

"Well, that's kind of what we were hoping." Edward nods with a smile, not understanding Emma's dark tone. 

"What if I don't want to?" She inquires. "What if I'm tired of fighting everyone's battles? You know, I should be in my fifties right now, that's usually when people start to think about retiring in the next ten years, not how they're going to defeat Hydra!"

"I understand that you're-"

"No, you don't understand!" Emma interrupts. "You weren't locked in an icebox for however-many-years that was! You aren't expected to be fine every single minute of every single day. I don't want to be a soldier anymore!"

"Then what do you want to be?" Zach slowly questions. "Who do you want to be?"

"I-I...I don't know." Emma sighs in defeat. "I just don't want to be...this anymore." 

"Emma, you don't have to." Edward shakes his head. "But please, save your whole personality change till after we defeat Hydra!"

Zach slaps his son on the back of the head, to which he replies with a loud groan. Emma looks at him in disbelief before turning to Zach with a sigh. "I'll fight, okay, I'll fight but I'm done after that. You convinced everyone that I was dead before, can you do it again?"

"You want a whole reset?" Zach furrows his eyebrows in confusion. "What about your dad? Nick Fury?"

"You're trying to talk me out of it," Emma grumbles while crossing her arms. "You think it's a bad idea?"

"I'm not telling you what to do but as...technical family...I do think it's a bad idea." Zach admits. "Emma, you'll be throwing everything away. Don't you want a relationship with your father again?"

Emma stares at the two men, both identical to a pin. There wasn't any sign of Edward's mother, except for the color of his eyes. Zach's were a bright green while Edward's were blue. The only difference between them. 

Emma and Steve had plenty of differences. She was more outspoken, he wasn't. She swore a lot, he didn't. She sometimes didn't think things through right away, Steve always had a plan. The only similarities were their eyes and hair. Everything else was Emma's mom, which was weird because people usually looked like their fathers. They had nothing in common and the only relationship they had was from when she was barely old enough to remember it. 

Would Emma really be throwing anything away? The only relationships would be the ones made at SHIELD and Peter Parker, though she could probably work something out with him. Otherwise, there wasn't much to lose. She didn't owe anyone anything, she was still a kid herself. Emma deserved to experience the world without having to do its dirty work. 

"Let's just get going." She finally gruffs while uncrossing her arms. "I'm going to need a suit and some weapons. You can give me the rundown on the way there." 

==========================================

You are so right, this is a filler chapter

No, I cannot tell you what's gonna happen

BUT

I can tell you that many will not be happy

That's right, I'm killing Peter Parker

JUST KIDDING

I GOT YOU

HAHAHHA

-Author Out

PS - Pls don't kill me  Multiplelifes has already taken the liberty of threatening me. (They do it every time I promise :)))) ) Jk love you Lifes