Chapter Twenty-Six

About an hour later, Emma, Edward, and Zach were squished in a tiny bug making their way across the country in hopes of making it to the fighting in time. Zach was driving, Edward was in the passenger seat, and Emma was stuck in the back, where there weren't really supposed to be seats in the first place. 

"Are we there yet?" Edward groans while tracing patterns on the window. Emma watches Zach's knuckles tighten on the steering wheel, Edward had asked this question a few times since they'd started the journey. 

"No, we'll get there when we get there!" Zach hisses. "And if you ask me that question one more time, I'm dropping you off in the middle of the woods to fend for yourself!" 

"Actually, though, how far away are we?" Emma questions while leaning forward between the two seats, hoping to defuse the situation a little bit. "I have to mentally prepare for my reentrance into life."

"We're about ten minutes out." Zach replies, his tone completely changed. 

"How dare you." Edward grumbles while turning in his seat. He glares at Emma, who sticks her tongue out in retaliation, before turning forward again. "What's our plan here? Dropping her off and driving away? 'Cause I'm pretty sure the Avengers already have someone with super strength on their side and you...well...dad...you have nothing." 

"Dude." Emma whistles. "How harsh!" 

"I'm going to be behind the scenes." Zach sighs after a few seconds of silence. "Computer work, stuff like that. Which reminds me, take these." 

"What are they?" Edward inquires.

"Comms." Emma answers before Zach can. "So we can stay in touch in case we're separated." 

"Cool." He mumbles before starting to put it on. Emma stares at the small black dot on her palm before looking up to see Zach staring at her through his rearview mirror. 

"You can do this, Emma." He states, pulling Edward's attention away from the comm. "You are stronger than you know. I understand that you'll be fighting your mom-"

"She's not my mom." Emma interrupts with a small snap in her voice. "She caused all of this and tortured me to death. She's a woman from Hydra that I have to take down." 

"She's still your mom." Zach insists. "Whether you feel this way or not, I know there's something inside of you that is troubled by this." 

"Well, I can't let it." Emma shakes her head. "She's a menace and will hurt people if I can't stop her and I have a bad feeling that I'm going to have to be the one to do it." 

The car had fallen into silence as they reached the outskirts of the city. Emma's eyes grow in size as she takes in all the damage from the war that had gone through. Buildings were crumbling, there were fires everywhere, and the people that were left were staggering around with injuries from everything that had happened. 

Zach had pulled over the car and Emma took the opportunity to scramble out without being stopped. She rushes forward and turns in several circles while taking in the damage. "T-this is because of me. All these people..."

"Emma, your hand is glowing." Edward's voice pulls Emma back from her thoughts. She turns to see Edward standing behind her with the bug missing, Zach must've driven away when she'd gotten distracted. "Are you upset?"

"Of course I'm upset!" Emma screams, causing something to explode a few feet away. Emma was pretty sure it was a mailbox. "Look at all of this!! Everything is destroyed and it's because I 'died'! These people don't have homes, some died, many are hurt, and whatever else may have happened before we got here!"

"You feel that anger right now?" Zach's voice rings through their comms before Edward could reply and make it worse. "Use it, they're fighting over on Times Square. Your mom is there. Show her what she missed out on, show them all what they missed out on." 

Emma stares at Edward for a few seconds, both having a conversation without speaking. Without a word, both Emma and Edward take off in a run towards the center of the city. They both keep time with one another before skidding to a stop near a brick building that offered protection from most of the fighting around them. 

Tony Stark flies above them in his full suit, getting chased by three jets that weren't friendly. "Hang on Mr. Stark! I'm coming!" Spiderman shouts after him before swinging from above them to try and help Tony. 

"How did I just hear that?" Edward questions while turning around the corner. 

"Do you see her?" Emma questions, both of them knowing who she was talking about. 

"She's over by the tower, your dad is fighting her." Edward reports. "It looks like they're arguing." 

"Of course they are." Emma grumbles back. "Go help Tony, it looks like they could use it." 

"We're splitting up?" Edward demands but Emma's already gone. She wasn't going to take no for an answer, she had a plan and there was no way Edward was going to change it. Emma was going to take down her mother, even if she didn't know her father very well she wasn't going to let him take the burden. 

"This is for the childhood you took from me." Emma grumbles while jumping over some debris. "This isn't for anyone else but myself because this time, I'm taking care of me." 

========================

So I thought I was going to put the fighting in here but I lied to myself and you, oops. Anywho see you next chapter for all the fun 

:)))))))))))))))))))

-Author Out