Chapter Eight

Now that Emma's senses were in full gear, she remembered this base like the back of her hand. Instead of Fury and Coulson leading her through the halls, she did it while shouting over her shoulder. Different agents in her path would jump out of the way and stare, this time with pure curiosity. 

"How could this have happened?!" Emma shouts while waving her hands around as she cuts a corner to get to the main room faster. "Ed was completely secure, was he not?"

"We're not sure." Coulson coughs and speeds up to keep pace with the teen. "Yesterday, he was sent to investigate a small threat on the outskirts of the city. Edward never came back and we received a recorded message of his capture and turnover this morning." 

"Any images?" Emma questions.

"Nothing." Fury denies. "Only voices."

Emma abruptly stops in the middle of the hall that would lead them straight to the main room. She turns on her heel to face the two adults, her eyes blazing with, what they could only assume to be, anger. "Then how do you know it's real? He could be hurt or sending a coded message to try and get help."

"That's why I asked you to debrief." Fury calmly replies. It had been a few years but he was still used to Emma's outbursts. "I want to send you after him."

"Whoa whoa." Maria Hill joins the conversation immediately. "You want to send her after him a few hours after she arrived at the base? How do you know she isn't compromised?"

"Nice to see you too, Hill." Emma mumbles under her breath while crossing her arms.

"She's not." Fury shakes his head. "I would know."

"You aren't her father, Nick," Maria scoffs. "She could be hiding it easily, you don't know anything."

"It's not like her real damn father would know!" Fury argues back. 

"Excuse me what?" Emma questions. "My dad is dead, so please don't bring him up again." 

"What?" Coulson demands while staring at her with a confused expression. 

"My father is dead." Emma slowly repeats as if speaking to children half her age. "You don't need to bring him up in this situation."

"She doesn't know?" Maria inquires while looking at the others.

"Doesn't know what? What's going on?" Emma crosses her arms over her chest as if to protect herself from the answer. "Do you guys seriously know more about me?"

"You never told her?" Coulson questions while turning to Fury. Soon, everyone is looking at him as he sat and contemplated his options. He could tell Emma that her father was alive and in this exact base or he could send her on the mission to get his agent while she still had a clear head.

"I told you years ago, he's not here." Fury gruffs while gesturing for the group to continue, he ignores the gazes thrown at him by Maria and Coulson as he continues to explain the situation. "I'm sending you alone to get Edward, think you can handle it?"

"Is it before or after April arrives? If it's after I may not have a chance." Emma admits, her mind slipping away from the comments Coulson made. 

"We have agents distracting her as we speak." Fury replies while slyly changing course away from the main part of the base, where he knew the Avengers would be hanging around to catch up with one another, and towards the loading docks on the opposite side from where she had come in earlier. 

"You're sending her now?" Coulson hisses after finally catching up. "Fury, she needs more debriefing, a change in outfit, more weapons."

 "Weapons and a suit that'll fit are already in the car. Someone will drive you to the outskirts of the base where you will make contact with Edward." Fury sharply orders. "Do not engage other soldiers unless absolutely necessary. I will personally pick you up in a quinjet upon your signal. Coulson and I will be flying over though, in case backup is needed. Do you understand?"

"Loud and clear, Fury." Emma gruffs while crossing her arms again. "Get in, get out, and don't kill if you don't have to."

"Don't kill at all." Maria jumps in. "Emma, we've talked about this."

"When you have fire abilities that literally burn people to a crisp, how are you not killing them?" Emma demands.

"Fury." Maria huffs while turning to the director.

"Not unless you have to." Fury states while staring at Emma with his eye. "Promise me." 

"Not unless I have to." She repeats. "Come on, Fury, when have I ever let you down.....actually, don't answer that." 

=====

So the end kinda just became a filler because I have a longer chapter for the action portion...otherwise, this would've been like 3,000 words and I'm not ready for that because the rest of the book will be sad in comparison...lol

-Author Out