Chapter Eighteen

"Emma, I'm going to ask you this one last time. What did you do?" Fury demands but the blonde doesn't move. Instead, she keeps her focus on the monitor in hopes that her signal had gone through in time. Fury opens his mouth to shout at her but stops when the monitor turns on again with a man on the other side.

The director clamps his mouth shut and tips it to the side, his eyes furrowed in confusion. On the screen before him was not what Fury had expected. Maybe he was still a little disappointed but surprised nonetheless. 

Fury had been expecting a Hydra agent with piercings and tattoos covering his body. A gun strapped to his chest and a glare towards Fury. Maybe going on about how he was going to take down the base and take Emma with him. Instead, Fury was given something much different.

"Emma? Are you okay? Everything's so dark, I can't see!" A voice rings through the room. "I had to leave Spanish to answer your signal, give me five minutes and I can be by your-"

"You called Spider-Weird-Kid-Thing?!" Fury roars, causing Peter Parker himself to jump out of his skin. Was that Nick Fury?

"What? Did you think I was going to call Grant Ward?" Emma scoffs. "Even I'm not that stupid." 

Fury had to give her more credit, he honest to god thought that Ward was a contender. "I...what is happening?!"

"I bumped into Peter a while ago." Emma slowly explains as if Fury was a child. "He and I talked about a lot of things...he's my new person since April...well...you know." 

"Your person?" Fury questions.

"Uh...Mr...Director...Nick....Mr. Fury." Peter stutters. "It's a Greys Anatomy reference. I got Emma to watch a few episodes."

"Did you?" Fury demands. "Well I'll be damned, let me get out of the way to let you braid each others hair." 

"Fury," Emma warns.

"Love?! You said you bumped into him a little bit ago!" Fury continues as if she hadn't spoken, saying his thoughts as they popped back into his mind.

"I've known Peter since I woke up!" Emma throws her hands in the air. "We've been good friends, had a thing, and then I had to disappear because of Hydra. I wasn't going to let him go down with me!"

"Jesus Christ." Fury mumbles while rubbing his temples.

"What's so wrong with Peter? He's a really nice guy!" Emma cries. "Again, at least it's not Grant Ward!"

"I have to give you that." Fury admits. "But...are you two...you know?"

"What?" Emma pushes.

"Are you two...together?" He elaborates. 

The room is silent. Peter sits in the bathroom stall of his high school in surprise. After everything that he's been through with the Avengers and SHIELD, he had never heard Fury get so...awkward or squeamish. Where was the big, bad, Nicholas Fury that everyone talked about? Cause this guy certainly wasn't it.

Steve stares at the tablet in surprise, even he had thought that Emma was going to call some Hydra agent that he'd have to destroy later. Though Peter was a large improvement, he still felt a fire in his stomach. All he could see was his little girl now dating, that wasn't how this was supposed to go. Not at all.

Tony Stark cackles by his computer, switching his gaze between an annoyed Emma, an awkward Fury, a confused Peter, and a firey Steve. This was so much better than whatever reality show Pepper made him watch on the weekends. This was like his own personal Days of Our Lives! If he played this for Pepper, would she feel the same? Damn, now Tony wanted popcorn but he didn't want to leave in case something happened!

"Are you seriously asking if Peter and I are dating?" Emma finally purses her lips while squaring her shoulders. "And are you upset about it?"

"You say 'at least it's not a Hydra agent' one more time and I might ground you in a cell for a week." Fury threatens. "I get it, he's better than Hydra!"

"Why are you so upset? So what if we are-"

"Holy fuck!" He interrupts.

"Or aren't!" Emma quickly finishes. "It shouldn't matter to you!" 

"Well, it matters to me," Steve states from the doorway. His body was a complete shadow with the lights shining in from the hall but everyone could tell his arms were crossed and that he carried himself as he did before any mission. "It matters to me and should because you are my daughter."

"Holy shit," Peter whispers before quickly ending the call, he loved Emma but he was not ready to face the wrath of Captain America.

"Well?" Fury demands while turning on Emma. "What's going on between you two?"

"Well....uh...you see...holy shit a snake!"

"What?"

Within seconds, the lights in the computer lab turn off completely, dousing the group in complete darkness. Fury sighs and grabs Emma's arm before she can escape as the emergency lights flick on. 

"Really? A snake?"

"It was worth a shot."