Chapter Nine

Emma stands alone in front of an old warehouse, questioning why evil agencies liked to use them as their bases. Wasn't it cliche? Obvious? Maybe they were going for the 'it's so obvious that it isn't' factor. She couldn't decide. 

The driver had left about fifteen minutes ago, yet Emma couldn't seem to move her feet. She knew her time was running low before April arrived and pointed her out to everyone. Emma just had a sinking feeling that Edward wasn't going to be swayed by her, he was gone and there was nothing she could do about it. 

Emma sucks in a breath and gathers her courage, she had to do this now. Emma takes a step towards the building when a large force bounces off her chest and sends her flying back onto the concrete. Emma rolls a few times before stopping on her side, she groans and pushes herself onto her elbow to figure out what had attacked her. 

There, standing in the flesh, was Edward. He looked toner and his eyes seemed dark and unforgiving. His brown hair was swept back but moved with the slight breeze around them. Edward wore a black suit without the sleeves, completely exposing his arms that had grown in size since the last time Emma had seen him. 

"What the hell are you doing here?" Edward hisses while leaning forward slightly. "Don't you know that they're after you?"

"I'm here for you, Edward, Fury told me about you going dark." Emma gruffs as she pushes herself to her feet despite the pain shooting through her body. "What the hell happened?"

"You." He answers and crosses his arms. "You left because you thought you were better, that you could just toss me aside, well now I'm just like you."

"Edward you didn't." Emma mumbles, she had that sinking feeling that he'd told Hydra to experiment away with him. 

"Oh, I did." Edward laughs. "Now I'm stronger than a hundred men!" 

"Why would you do that to yourself?" Emma shouts. "Nothing about it is amazing."

"You just don't see it." Edward shakes his head. "Leave, Emma, before I show you what I'm capable of and take you back. Hydra has been looking for you and they'd love to try out this new serum. It makes people more....obedient." 

"Stop this." She orders. "Come back to SHIELD, they can reverse-"

"I don't want to go back!" Edward interrupts while stomping his foot on the ground, leaving a dent in the concrete. "Before I was weak, I let you do all the work but not anymore. Hydra showed me a new way." 

"I don't want to do this." Emma states as her fist bursts into flames. 

"You're not going to be the one to walk away this time." He threatens while getting into his own fighting stance. "Haven't you forgotten? I know all your moves."

"Same could be said for you," Emma replies. "I know all of yours too."

"Not all of them." Edward hisses while narrowing his eyes. 

All at once, he rushes forward and crosses his arms in front of his body to push Emma back. She dives out of the way and rolls on the ground to avoid contact. Emma swivels around and lands on her knees with her fingers grazing against the ground. She jumps up and kicks him in the knee before rolling to avoid an elbow to the face, instead it nicks her shoulder and pushes her off slightly. 

Edward grabs her ponytail and pulls Emma to her feet, he slams his elbow between her shoulder blades. The impact sends Emma to the ground with the loss of breath. Edward stops fighting and stands over Emma's body, waiting for her to stand again. 

Fury looks away from the monitor for a few seconds before returning his gaze, he didn't want to miss things but he also couldn't watch her lose. Coulson looks between Fury and the monitor, waiting for him to give the word for backup. 

"Fury." Coulson mumbles. "Call it, she won't make it." 

"Who's going to go in, you?" Fury questions while narrowing his eyes towards the agent. 

"Rogers is available." He offers while scoffing his foot on the ground. Fury purses his lips and shakes his head, he didn't want to go through the events of Emma finding out he lied about her father. She would never forgive him. "Oh no." Fury quickly turns to the monitor to see Emma on the ground once again, this time she wasn't moving right away and her back was facing Edward. "We have to call him."

Emma doesn't move, instead she focuses on her breathing. Her chest hurt and it felt like she barely had enough room in her lungs to take a full breath. Emma closes her eyes and pushes herself to her feet once again, blood dripping down from her nose. 

"Why do you keep getting up?" Edward shouts. "Give up!" 

"I can't." Emma hisses while raising her fists. "I'm not going to stop and I'm not giving up on you, Edward, please." 

"Then I'll have to kill you." He shakes his head. "SHIELD is evil, they corrupt you and force you to do things that you aren't ready for. Hydra is different, they help."

Emma shifts slightly, waiting for the next wave to start, with her gaze locked on Edwards. After a few seconds, something drops and rolls to a stop between the two. Immediately, both teens drop their gazes to the ground to see a bomb blinking between them. 

"Crap." Emma breathes, too scared to move in case Edward would charge. 

"Looks like I won't have to kill you myself after all." Edward laughs. "Something else is going to do it for me."