Chapter Four

Emma sits at the table that she had stared at when The Winter Soldier had explained that he was getting breakfast, he hadn't come out yet and she was starting to think that he'd tricked Emma just to call someone on her. Emma looks up from the table and stares at the Avengers tower despite the slight glare from the sun that reflected off the glass. She was supposed to have met April at least ten minutes ago, which meant that April was probably searching the park for her. 

Emma turns her head slightly to see him exit the cafe with two to-go cups and a white bag that carried at least two danishes of some sorts. She watches him place them on the table and sit down with an awkward smile before he pushed a cup towards her as well as the bag. 

"I thought you might be hungry." He offers with a small shrug. "Also, I don't want to call you Agent 12. My name is Bucky." 

"I'm Emma." She curtly replies without  moving to grab anything he had passed.

"It was a long line," Bucky mumbles while playing with his cup. 

"How did you remember me?" Emma inquires.

"I didn't at first." Bucky admits. "Then I saw....the fear on your face and I remembered our first mission together." 

Forty-Something Years Ago
Somewhere in Russia
Time Unknown

"Whatever you do, keep out of the way of the Winter Soldier." A voice rings through Emma's com. Despite her trainings, Emma's stomach churned with nerves about working with the infamous assassin. 

She swallows the lump in her throat and turns to look at the man next to her, he just seemed to be raining with confidence and fear was radiating off of Emma by the second. The ramp opens and they both walk out together, a glare etched onto the Winter Soldier's face. 

Emma stays at least a few feet behind him in fear that he'd turn on her instead of the mission that they were supposed to be on. The assassin turns around with a knife held in front of his chest, Emma's gaze turns to fear once again and she takes a step back. He tips his head to the side and continues to stare at her. 

Present Time 
Cafe NY, NY

Emma sucks in a deep breath and forces herself to look back at Bucky, trying to focus on the conversation and explanation that Bucky was still giving instead of the memories that flowed through her mind. Bucky was talking about someone that had rescued him from Hydra long ago, this person even fought a war for him or something. 

"If I can change, you can too." Bucky continues. "Please, let me help you get out of the hole Hydra dug you into." 

"I'm not asking you to help me." Emma purses her lips and traces her finger on the table. "I've already got someone." 

"April Collins, the girl you've been hiding with since you left SHIELD?" He raises an eyebrow. Emma chokes on air for a few seconds before composing herself. How did he know her name? She didn't remember him being this good at the job. "Nick Fury has been looking for you." 

"He has?" Emma inquires. "He's Nick Fury if he wanted to find me, he would've." 

"You'd think." Bucky shrugs. "But this girl has been hiding you quite well." 

"Hiding me? No, no, I've been hiding her." Emma argues while placing her palms face down on the table. "She doesn't know-"

"Apparently she does." Bucky calmly interrupts after stealing a glance at a few staring citizens around them. "Emma, I think that she's still apart of Hydra."

"She wouldn't....no." Emma states while standing, causing her chair to fly back slightly. "This is just how it was years ago but I'm not falling for it anymore. You were a manipulator, you haven't changed and you never will."

"Emma please-"

"Stay away from April and stay away from me." She interrupts. "And tell Nick Fury to stick it where the sun doesn't shine." 

With that, the blonde turns on her heel and stalks across the street. Her feelings were everywhere and she had to get somewhere secluded to let off some steam or something was going to catch on fire. Emma always hated when her emotions got the best of her and she had honestly believed that she'd had it under control. What Emma didn't guess was that her past was going to come back so soon.

Bucky sighs and rubs his temples, he should have known that laying that kind of information on Emma so fast wouldn't have a good outcome. Why had he contacted Phil Coulson inside the cafe? Now they were expecting him to walk back with her by his side, how was he going to explain that he made the situation so much worse?

"Don't worry, agent Barnes." A voice chuckles into the com that Bucky had been wearing. "We've got her tagged now."