Chapter 14

A complex digital map laid out on the table in front of Ruth, Bucky, Steve, Natasha, Sam, and Tony; Tony maneuvering the controls when needed. The digital image projected the building, illuminating all exit points, surveillance, and where guards are suspected to be. The manor where they were headed was extensive not only in size but in grandeur. The gala would only take place on the main floor, but multiple levels made up the manor, each with their own complex technology working within.

"I've been here before," Ruth began, studying the screen in front of her, "for a mission." One of my last missions, Ruth thought. It was her last mission with Ryker. If she only knew then that it was going to be the last time.

"So you know the ins and outs of the place?" Steve asked, leaned over at the table, everyone that gathered looking to Ruth.

"Sure, I'll just need a refresher. I extracted information from an office computer on the east end here," Ruth pointed on the map. "That's the office with the least amount of security. I'm not sure if we would be able to access key information from there, though. We may have to make our way to the north end. It has the most security, but that's where the boss of the house's main computer is."

"I don't think we want to try and create a scene, not until we figure out where Hydra is based out of, or where Mage is. If we raid the office, we'll spook them before we even get started," Steve explained, commanding the room. "This is purely to get intel, talk to people, and find out where Mage is if we can."

"What if we see him while we're in the gala? I mean, I doubt he'll be there. But if he sees either me or Ruth he'll recognize us," Bucky said, a concern in his voice.

"If you see him, report to me and I'll make sure he doesn't see you," Natasha said, her voice calm.

"Sam, Natasha, and I will wait nearby. RedWing will provide us an eye in the sky the whole time. We'll have thermal readers to keep track of the security," Steve explained to Ruth and Bucky. "We'll give you comms to keep in your ear the entire time. We'll be able to hear you, and you'll be able to hear us. The three of us will engage if things get messy."

Bucky nodded.

"You're not coming with us, Tony?" Ruth asked him.

"No," he began, "Someone has to stay back and make sure things are ok at the base. Plus, Bruce and I will work on deciphering some information."

"And if Ross starts asking questions, at least Tony will be here to answer them," Steve said.

Ruth nodded in acknowledgment. "One thing," she started, "What are we going to wear?" Ruth thought about her scars. That was one of the reasons why the Woman never cared about scars beyond making sure her agents didn't get them on any identifiable areas, her agents didn't have to go dress up for galas.

"Gotcha covered," Tony replied. "I'll have everything you need loaded up in the Quinjet."

Ruth swallowed hard, anticipation building. But above it all, the excitement for going on a mission began to grow. It had been an itch she wasn't able to scratch. To investigate, to gather intel. It was what Ruth had lived for for so long.

"When do we head out?" Sam asked.

"Tonight," Steve replied. "So let's pack up, and move out."