Chapter 21

Ross thought it would be best for Tony to ask some questions, since he seemed to be as stubborn as Kal was. Bucky asked to sit with him since he knew Kal would ask questions about Ruth. Bucky wouldn't admit out loud that he was surprised Ross actually agreed.

Ruth watched from the viewing room with Ross hovering beside her, breathing down her neck. He stood with a tentativeness, glancing between Kal and Ruth. Sam and Steve stood to the other side of her, making Ruth feel even smaller.

"Look," Tony finally said to Kal, "We all know you work for Hydra, and we all know that you're working for Mage to take Ruth back to him."

Kal stayed silent.

"So do you think that you can just take her and walk out?" Tony asked.

Kal grinned, "Do you know who she is, really?"

"What do you mean?" Tony asked.

"Ruth is a narcissist who will do whatever it takes to get what she wants," Kal continued, "Even if that means getting close to someone just to use them later on."

"That's not true," Bucky countered.

"Isn't it? You lived with her for what, eight months? I lived with her for over eight years." Kal laughed. "You're naive if you think that you brought her to this place against her will and that she truly doesn't want to be here."

Ruth's heart raced as she watched through the mirror. She kept her hands tight in fists, physically trying to keep them from shaking as she crossed her arms. She just hoped Bucky didn't believe any of this.

"She'll use every single one of you and be out of here before you know it," Kal continued, "Ruth will take information, equipment, data—anything that she needs and you won't be able to do anything about it."

Ruth felt Ross's glare on her as she continued to face forward.

Anger swelled within Bucky, Tony sitting still with his eyebrows furrowed.

"Why do you think her name is Buzzkill?" Kal remarked with a smile, turning to the mirror to look at Ruth, knowing Ruth was standing there watching her.

Ruth clenched her jaw, furious with what Kal was doing. Ruth herself had used this tactic against people throughout her career. Fill the already-doubting person with more doubt to weed the person they're searching for, out. That must be why Kal didn't just come in and grab her.

Everyone in the viewing room turned to look at Ruth, questioning everything. Sam felt as if he was caught in the middle, not knowing what to think.

Ruth wanted to go into the room and face of Kal herself right here and now. Is that what Kal wanted? What she really wanted? A rematch?

Ruth stepped out into the hallway as questioning came to a close. The air cool two floors down in the basement, the light dim compared to upstairs. She waited for Bucky to walk out so she could catch up to him.

The door opened as Bucky rushed out briskly, passing Ruth and continuing to walk as she caught up to him.

"You don't believe her, do you?" Ruth asked him, her voice frantic.

"Of course not," Bucky answered, his voice filled with an underlying frustration towards Kal. "I've seen Hydra agents use this tactic before." He turned to face her, "But why is she trying so hard to turn us against you?

"To weed me out so she can take me to Mage. Obviously she doesn't have the man power to come in and grab me," Ruth replied.

Pounding footsteps thundered behind them in the hallway, Steve rushing to Ruth, forcefully grabbing her shoulder and turning her around.